Pujols released by the Angels

jabba72

Pujols is right up there with Davis for biggest FA busts.   I think he had maybe 2 good years right at the beginning of the contract, unlike Davis, but then he was basically replacement level or worse for the next 8 years.  And the Angels gave him $240 million. 

On 5/6/2021 at 5:37 PM, GuidoSarducci said:

Pujols is right up there with Davis for biggest FA busts.   I think he had maybe 2 good years right at the beginning of the contract, unlike Davis, but then he was basically replacement level or worse for the next 8 years.  And the Angels gave him $240 million. 

You can make a good argument that the Pujols deal was a worse dollar/performance trade off, since Pujols made $77 mm more.   But personally, I feel the Davis deal was significantly worse.   Pujols gave decent production for the first five years, even if a little overpaid.   Davis has been a national joke.   

Arguably worse than either of those: Miguel Cabrera, who’s under contract until 2023, now in his fifth straight year of terrible production and rocking a .127 BA.   

Wants to chase a ring, I guess.  Or be able to walk away from the game on his own terms.  Or both.  

Add Pujols on the Dodgers as one of those awkward late career moves that will be weird to us in a few years.  Like Griffey Jr. on the White Sox, Willie Mays on the Mets, Manny Ramirez on the White Sox/Rays, Joe Morgan on the Astros (yes I know he started there)/Giants/Phillies/A's, etc.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wants to chase a ring, I guess.  Or be able to walk away from the game on his own terms.  Or both.  

Add Pujols on the Dodgers as one of those awkward late career moves that will be weird to us in a few years.  Like Griffey Jr. on the White Sox, Willie Mays on the Mets, Manny Ramirez on the White Sox/Rays, Joe Morgan on the Astros (yes I know he started there)/Giants/Phillies/A's, etc.  

I saw Steve Carlton pitch against the Orioles in a White Sox uniform.

And of course we've been over the list of guys the Orioles picked up in the twilight of their careers before:. Valenzuela, Guillen, Joe Carter, Dwight Evans, Vlad, etc...it's practically an endless list.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I saw Steve Carlton pitch against the Orioles in a White Sox uniform.

And of course we've been over the list of guys the Orioles picked up in the twilight of their careers before:. Valenzuela, Guillen, Joe Carter, Dwight Evans, Vlad, etc...it's practically an endless list.

Sosa.  Murray Part 2.  Thome.  

I'm wondering what team could put together the best "twilight" team.  IMO, two ways you could do it...one, you could look at the team selected and see the players and judge based off what they were in their primes.  Or you could try to figure out who'd be the best team with the players in their actual twilight years.