Brandon Young 2021

Tony-OH

First look at the free agent signee.

Tall (6-6), lanky right-hander with four-pitch mix. Announcer said the fastball was 93. Showed the ability throw all four pitches for strikes. Hard to see the movement on the pitches from the home plate camera view, but he got a decent amount of swing and miss. Definitely worth keeping any eye on.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Note - was adding this to another thread and then noticed you had a writeup on him, so I moved it over here. Sounds like we had a pretty similar takeaway....and yes the camera angle is lousy for picking up pitch movement. 

I caught some of Brandon Young's start tonight. He hit his pitch count limit in the 4th, leaving two runners on base, both of whom scored after Stauffer relieved him. Young's line was 3 1/3 IP  3H   2 ER   2 BB   6 K. He pitched exclusively from the stretch tonight. Not many hard hit balls off him that I remember. Threw four pitches, but mostly fastball and changeup. He occasionally threw a decent looking slider, and a very slow (75 MPH) backdoor curve. His FB sat 92-93, topping out at 94. He elevated his FB a lot, not showing particularly good control of it. But aside from throwing a lot of pitches, the FB/CU combination was pretty effective. He's a pretty big guy (6'6"). For an undrafted free agent, he looked better than I expected, but then again the draft was only 5 rounds last year. Anyhow, there's some good stuff there, but he's got some work to do on his toolkit.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Young continues to impress with a four pitch mix and fastball that has reportedly sat 91-94 this season. The fastball doesn't have a ton of movement so when he misses he tends to get barreled up, but he's been working the pitch better up in the zone. 

Over his last six starts he's pitched to a 3.20 ERA with 36 K and 10 BB in 25.1 IP. He should start next season in AA.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1