Rio DFA, Wilkerson brought up

eddie83

I'm glad we've moved on from Ruiz. He was someone Elias knew from his Houston days and may have stuck around a bit longer as a result. In any case, glad to see us move on. Wilkerson was swinging well in the minors, but I hope he's more of a place holder until Bannon or Jones starts banging down the door. 

You grow, Mike Elias!

Fun fact - at 4-129 in the 2012 draft Rio Ruiz got 1.85M, and at 4-103 in the 2020 draft Coby Mayo got 1.75M.

Please bring some other high schooler from your 2012 class to next year's team.

I guess if he gets to Norfolk he could....take Ryan Ripken's at-bats!

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ruiz isn’t really gone unless he’s claimed off waivers, or elects free agency, right?

Yep, I don't believe he has successfully been non-tendered before, so he would have to accept assignment if he clears waivers (and the O's want him at AAA).

Although they could have optioned him if they wanted to be sure to keep him.

2B-wise, Vavra (Happy Belated 24th birthday, last week) has started hot enough I am starting to have a little hope he as well as Jahmai can get a 6-week audition before 162.

Unless of course he is on a strict League MVP regimen and needs AA-Northeast to go with his Sally.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Maybe a platoon of sorts.   Valaiak (RH) vs lefties, Wilkerson (SH) vs righties???

Yeah, I would be fine with Stevie getting some at-bats against righties. Still think Valaika should get some starts against righties too though. Maybe 50/50 against righties and Valaika getting 100 percent of the starts against lefties.

Much like Mullins, Wilkerson shouldn't be hitting against lefties as a switch hitter, hard to imagine him doing much worse if he gave up switch hitting.

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, I would be fine with Stevie getting some at-bats against righties. Still think Valaika should get some starts against righties too though. Maybe 50/50 against righties and Valaika getting 100 percent of the starts against lefties.

Much like Mullins, Wilkerson shouldn't be hitting against lefties as a switch hitter, hard to imagine him doing much worse if he gave up switch hitting.

Wilkerson getting the start tonight, vs a righty.

• Upvote 2