Richie Martin injured

Legend_Of_Joey

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If he isn’t an excellent defensive SS, he has no value.  Trying him in CF just makes little sense.

Thats actually a really good point. His bat just doesn't play anywhere else. Its SS or bust. 

11 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Thats actually a really good point. His bat just doesn't play anywhere else. Its SS or bust. 

I disagree. Chris Taylor comes to mind as a guy who was a good defensive SS in Seattle, but was light with the bat. He switched to CF and found a swing that works. For some players, a move from SS can help unlock the bat. It has worked for other players in the past, although I cannot think of any at this very moment. 

I do not think Martin is an elite SS, for the record. He has a ceiling of a lower division starter for me. So a utility profile makes sense. Richie is a very good athlete, and I think he can hit enough to play in that role. I do not know what preparation the organization has given him. I doubt they just threw him out there without significant reps. 

I am also not really in favor of moving so many players around the field so frequently when they are young, such as Gunnar, Westburg, et al. I think it stunts their growth at a particular position. A little tinkering is fine, but to do it several times a week seems silly for young players. Jack of all trades, master of none. With an older guy like Richie, it makes sense to me. 

• Upvote 1