2022 early look top prospects

6 hours ago, ExileAngelos said:

I think there are PLENTY of examples in recent years.  Just look at the Jays roster.  Are you seriously saying that Andrew Jones being his dad doesn't impact whether he will hit as a prospect?

Yes that’s what I’m saying.  There are more examples of failures than hits.  

There is zero evidence that suggests what you are saying has any truth behind it.  Yea, it’s nice that they can learn from their dads but it doesn’t mean they will have their abilities and talents.

If you take Druw Jones, which as of now is the guy I think they should take, it’s because you feel he’s the best player with the highest ceiling.  You don’t take him because of his dad.  That makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes that’s what I’m saying.  There are more examples of failures than hits.  

There is zero evidence that suggests what you are saying has any truth behind it.  Yea, it’s nice that they can learn from their dads but it doesn’t mean they will have their abilities and talents.

If you take Druw Jones, which as of now is the guy I think they should take, it’s because you feel he’s the best player with the highest ceiling.  You don’t take him because of his dad.  That makes no sense.

I think you are both right. Having an MLB dad can help, but it depends on the kid, the tools, and their relationship. Did the kid hang around dad, the clubhouse, other players, etc… growing up? It can raise the floor, sure. It can certainly help the baseball IQ, the work ethic, the level of instruction and such in some cases, but not every case. The player still has to have talent. The ones you mentioned had almost zero talent. 

• Upvote 1

So, an honest question for the board. For me, I have concerns about Termarr Johnson and his body type. He is a thick-legged squatty 5-08, at best, short-levered 2B who will likely get bigger (not taller) and slower. Why should we take that profile at 1-1, even if he is a legit 70 hitter, over a guy like Druw Jones?

For me, I favor Druw and his overall profile and ceiling. I look at Johnson and doubt that his speed and athleticism will be a part of his game, based on his body type, into his mid 20’s. So, you have to believe his hit tool and power will carry below average defense at 2B during his arbitration years. Maybe I am wrong to project him in such a way, but that is my concern with him. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

So, an honest question for the board. For me, I have concerns about Termarr Johnson and his body type. He is a thick-legged squatty 5-08, at best, short-levered 2B who will likely get bigger (not taller) and slower. Why should we take that profile at 1-1, even if he is a legit 70 hitter, over a guy like Druw Jones?

For me, I favor Druw and his overall profile and ceiling. I look at Johnson and doubt that his speed and athleticism will be a part of his game, based on his body type, into his mid 20’s. So, you have to believe his hit tool and power will carry below average defense at 2B during his arbitration years. Maybe I am wrong to project him in such a way, but that is my concern with him. 

I've seen nothing that makes me think that he will be below average at 2B during the time in which he would be under team control.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I've seen nothing that makes me think that he will be below average at 2B during the time in which he would be under team control.

Just looking at his body type, current athleticism level and the normal progression. Like I said, maybe I am wrong, but that is my concern with him.

Watch him move now. Not a quick twitchy guy, like say a Kirby Puckett was. His feet and lateral movement are average, at best, right now. The hands and arm are not bad, average or so. Maybe I am wrong, but at 1-1, I go elsewhere if I am picking. 

42 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

As of today, I don’t have any interest in Johnson.  I do not think you spend the first pick on a second baseman, advanced hit tool or not. 

This pick, imo, should be a swing for the fences, HOF caliber talent pick.  Jones and maybe Green fit that description.  Jones seems to be less risky than Green as of today, so that’s the route I would go.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As of today, I don’t have any interest in Johnson.  I do not think you spend the first pick on a second baseman, advanced hit tool or not. 

This pick, imo, should be a swing for the fences, HOF caliber talent pick.  Jones and maybe Green fit that description.  Jones seems to be less risky than Green as of today, so that’s the route I would go.

I'll take the best mix of ceiling and floor, which to me, eliminates Green.  His floor is too low.

While I'm not locked in on him I'm fine with Johnson, I'll gladly take a 2B with the bat to stick at first.  That's value. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll take the best mix of ceiling and floor, which to me, eliminates Green.  His floor is too low.

While I'm not locked in on him I'm fine with Johnson, I'll gladly take a 2B with the bat to stick at first.  That's value. 

I don’t think we know about Green’s floor, especially with the news of a swing change by McDaniel.  But I do agree that talking today, his floor is lower than the other 2.  

I just don’t think you can make any real determination on anything as of now though. 

I just hope Elias swings for the fences on this pick.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think we know about Green’s floor, especially with the news of a swing change by McDaniel.  But I do agree that talking today, his floor is lower than the other 2.  

I just don’t think you can make any real determination on anything as of now though. 

I just hope Elias swings for the fences on this pick.

Thank goodness we are talking about today.

I'm not interesting in burning a 1-1 for the chance to take the next Bubba Starling or Donavan Tate.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I couldn’t disagree more with this logic.  Having a great-hitting 2B is really rare.  So long as he’s very solid at 2B, I’d have no hesitation in taking the best hitter in the draft just because he plays 2B.   Now, if he’s not a legit defender at 2B, that’s a different issue.   

Off-the-cuff guesses from a fantasy guy.   The rankings noted here are for the made-up games, not the real one.  Adjacent to Jammer's body type question, Willie Calhoun as a fire hydrant type breaking in now as a Termarr comp was one I hadn't seen yet, sifting these preps.

Termarr Johnson
Top 30-40
Locked-In: What we thought Willie Calhoun would be
Locked-Out: What Willie Calhoun is

Druw Jones
Top 30-40
Locked-In: Like father, like son
Locked-Out: The apple fell far from the tree

Elijah Green
Top 40-50
Locked-In: The best version of Jo Adell
Locked-Out: The worst version of Jo Adell

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I couldn’t disagree more with this logic.  Having a great-hitting 2B is really rare.  So long as he’s very solid at 2B, I’d have no hesitation in taking the best hitter in the draft just because he plays 2B.   Now, if he’s not a legit defender at 2B, that’s a different issue.   

Second base is not a premium position.  When you have the first pick, you go SS, CF, 3rd, elite arm or, I guess C if they are special (although I wouldn’t go C).

Its not that he doesn’t have value but the value isn’t as strong as other positions that are quite frankly harder to find.