2022 early look top prospects

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

By the way, 2B gets the third highest positional adjustment when calculating rWAR:

C +9 runs

SS: +7 runs

2B: +3 runs

CF: +2.5 runs

3B: +2 runs

RF: -7 runs

LF: -7 runs

1B: -9.5 runs

DH: -15 runs

That’s plenty enough of a premium position for me.   

This is why I think Elias goes for a plus SS.  Druw.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is why I think Elias goes for a plus SS.  Druw.

Other than the fact he is going to play CF this take is spot on.  I know there have a been reports that he can play SS...I don't believe there are many, if any, scouts that actually think he will play SS in pro ball. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I read the other day he’s a plus-plus CF and a “solid” SS.    That probably means his highest and best use is in CF.

It's doubtful he gets any time at all as a SS after he's drafted, even as an Oriole prospect.  I think the SS angle has ZERO factor on whoever drafts him, including the Orioles. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

It's doubtful he gets any time at all as a SS after he's drafted, even as an Oriole prospect.  I think the SS angle has ZERO factor on whoever drafts him, including the Orioles. 

Agreed, SS on a high school team is generally just the best overall athlete on the field, it doesn't mean they're a true MLB SS. Adam Jones was drafted as a shortstop but was moved pretty quickly to CF. I think if there was a real shot that he could stay at SS, then he'd probably be a clear 1-1 (at this stage), but it doesn't seem to be the case. 

17 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Agreed, SS on a high school team is generally just the best overall athlete on the field, it doesn't mean they're a true MLB SS. Adam Jones was drafted as a shortstop but was moved pretty quickly to CF. I think if there was a real shot that he could stay at SS, then he'd probably be a clear 1-1 (at this stage), but it doesn't seem to be the case. 

There’s a difference between “staying at SS” and being an above average major league defender there.   Let’s assume he could be an average SS, but in CF he’s as good as his father.   That’s an easy call — put him in CF.   

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d argue, especially in the era of everyone being a FB hitter, that having an elite defensive CFer is more important than the elite fielding SS.

It’s closer, but I’d still say no.  Shortstops get 500-600 chances a year compared to 300-400 for CF.   In OAA, last year there was a 40+ out gap between the high and low SS, 26 between the high and low CF.  A CF can only make plays on the balls hit in his direction, while a SS is also taking throws at 2B and trying to convert DPs, taking relay throws from the OF, etc.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s closer, but I’d still say no.  Shortstops get 500-600 chances a year compared to 300-400 for CF.   In OAA, last year there was a 40+ out gap between the high and low SS, 26 between the high and low CF.  A CF can only make plays on the balls hit in his direction, while a SS is also taking throws at 2B and trying to convert DPs, taking relay throws from the OF, etc.   

All of that is great but in the era of shifts, flyball hitters, etc…OF defense will continue to be more important than it ever has been.

If I had to take one and all things are equal, I probably slightly side with the SS but if the SS is just very good and not elite, I’m taking the CFer all day and really, depending on the player themselves, I may take the CFer anyway.  

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

All of that is great but in the era of shifts, flyball hitters, etc…OF defense will continue to be more important than it ever has been.

If I had to take one and all things are equal, I probably slightly side with the SS but if the SS is just very good and not elite, I’m taking the CFer all day and really, depending on the player themselves, I may take the CFer anyway.  

And I may take the 2B, if he’s the best hitter by a good margin.   To be determined.