2022 early look top prospects

Agree- the back foot slides out quite a bit.   Pretty odd.   But the swing was compact and quick.   I don't know the art of hitting well enough to know if that back foot slide will be an issue or not.

Termarr's swing is awesome.

16 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Agree- the back foot slides out quite a bit.   Pretty odd.   But the swing was compact and quick.   I don't know the art of hitting well enough to know if that back foot slide will be an issue or not.

I went back in this thread and looked at the video of him hitting 2 home runs in a game and the movement of his back foot wasn’t as exaggerated as it was here.  Maybe he just put a little extra into that swing on account of the overrated chants.

Look at a comparison between Jones and Y Diaz swing. Both have that exaggerated back leg sweeping away stride.   Johnson has a much better swing with a stance that is balanced and has just with a back foot rotation not the sweeping away stride that Jones exhibits.  Johnson will have to tone down the front leg kick though.  

11 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Look at a comparison between Jones and Y Diaz swing. Both have that exaggerated back leg sweeping away stride.   Johnson has a much better swing with a stance that is balanced and has just with a back foot rotation not the sweeping away stride that Jones exhibits.  Johnson will have to tone down the front leg kick though.  

Not sure he’ll have to tone it down, he looks very still and controlled/balanced during it.  Some players are successful with it. Acuna comes to mind, and Termarr’s swing reminds me of a LH Acuna a bit. 

13 hours ago, Hazmat said:

That’s awesome.  Can someone with more knowledge than me analyze that swing?  Was he off balance?  His back foot moved quite a bit after the swing.  

It looks like he had to wait a bit longer on the pitch but it does kick out a bit more than usual.  Quite a few really good/great players have little/no weight on the back foot at the point of contact.  And some have a dramatic leg kick too (regarding Termarr).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 9:16 PM, DocJJ said:

He scissors his back foot.  Miguel Cabrera and Jose Altuve also do this.

12 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

"There’s a rather good chance we’re at the doorstep of witnessing the most anemic MLB Draft, in terms of college pitching, in the history of the event..."

2022 MLB Draft: College Pitching Class Could End Up Historically Bad — Prospects Live

Disagree.

Conor Priliepp is out with Tommy John but is a 1st round solid front of rotation pick.

Hunter Barco has really emerged this year.

Many of Tennessee's pitchers have been awesome this year....  

I'd call it "average" year for college pitching, but nowhere near "historically bad"- that's hyperbole....

On 3/6/2022 at 6:12 AM, joelala said:

That’s Vlad Jr. they’re using in this clip right? Why is he hitting from the left side? I’m freaking out. 

He explained why he had Vlad hitting from the left side in the video.  He just mirrored the image so he could compare more easily with Joey Gallo.  The example being - Guerrero had trained himself to hit to the big (middle) part of the field and scissoring his back foot was a way to better do that.  Gallo is a dead pull hitter and doesn't scissor his back foot - his hitting approach is to attack the ball in front of the plate and pull it.  

No need to freak out.