2022 early look top prospects

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are you suggesting that MASN is highlighting him because he’s a front-runner in the eyes of the O’s front office?   I doubt there’s any connection.   

I guess I’m just overly concerned that they’re planting the seed for spreading out the pool again. Thinking about it, I doubt their planning is that elaborate. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

3/14 against the only good competition he’ll face is concerning. What’s more concerning is MASN trying to highlight this specific guy. Hope they do the same with the HS guys. 

Doesn't MASN show a bunch of college sports events? maybe they're trying to test the waters of interest in college baseball coverage using a semi-local school? No idea, just a consideration. 

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

3/14 against the only good competition he’ll face is concerning. What’s more concerning is MASN trying to highlight this specific guy. Hope they do the same with the HS guys. 

I think MASN is focusing on DeLauter here because he's the only top 10 draft prospect who plays in the area. Johnson, Jones, and Green are all down south, while a bunch of others are out on the west coast. I wouldn't take it as anything directed by the FO. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Brooks Lee is still tearing it up.   Switch hitting SS who is like a coach on the field- kind of reminds me of #8.       18 w/ 4 k rate, 1324 OPS, and plays good defense.  Looks like a 1/1 option.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=lee---000bro#standard_batting

Elias will definitely like his numbers from the cape. If he's the guy, I don't hate it, I'm still a bit partial to the idea of Jones Jr., though.

The moment Brooks Lee becomes the pick is the moment all the wondering if eventual payroll will go to SS or P ends, and the moment hoping that Buck Showalter doesn't rub Jacob deGrom quite the right way begins.

Perhaps also the knowing that a Sean Manaea win might not look good compared to this year's Rodriguez/Stroman contracts.

IMG Academy's online baseball schedule runs 2/16-4/28, so it is in the second half already today by time.    They do seem to play more often now, which makes sense with improving weather.

https://www.imgacademy.com/boarding-school/athletics/baseball/2022-baseball-schedule

At this point, I think it's a 4 horse race:  Brooks Lee, Termarr Johnson, Andruw Jones, Elijah Green.   I wouldn't be disappointed with any of them, though I personally like Johnson the best and think Green has a bit higher risk...

If Brooks Lee can stick at SS then he's a worthy 1-1 pick. Sure, I wish there was a no-bout-a-doubt-it stud available at the top of the draft ala Harper or Arod, but right now that's not the case. Any or all of the top High Schoolers could turn out better than Lee, but they could also crash and burn too. The chances that Lee craters as a pro isn't non-zero, but it's got to be less than Johnson, Jones, or Green. At this stage of the Orioles' organization it isn't critical that our #1 turns into Mike Trout, only that he doesn't turn into Matt Bush. 

5 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If Brooks Lee can stick at SS then he's a worthy 1-1 pick. Sure, I wish there was a no-bout-a-doubt-it stud available at the top of the draft ala Harper or Arod, but right now that's not the case. Any or all of the top High Schoolers could turn out better than Lee, but they could also crash and burn too. The chances that Lee craters as a pro isn't non-zero, but it's got to be less than Johnson, Jones, or Green. At this stage of the Orioles' organization it isn't critical that our #1 turns into Mike Trout, only that he doesn't turn into Matt Bush. 

I hear you, but if the reports that came out earlier this month calling Jones the best prospect since Harper are true, there IS a generational prospect. He’s committed to Vandy though and my guess is that Brooks Lee would be an underslot. I would be dissatisfied. 

3 hours ago, joelala said:

I hear you, but if the reports that came out earlier this month calling Jones the best prospect since Harper are true, there IS a generational prospect. He’s committed to Vandy though and my guess is that Brooks Lee would be an underslot. I would be dissatisfied. 

I’m sure if Elias and Sig believe Jones is a generational prospect they’ll grab him at 1-1 and not think twice. I tend to trust their evaluations over pundits and sports writers, the only caveat being that since college athletes are subject to more rigorous analysis than those in high school Elias might gravitate towards them in the belief that the Orioles are less likely to get burned by a highly touted 21 year old prospect than they would by a 17 or 18 year old. 

3 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I’m sure if Elias and Sig believe Jones is a generational prospect they’ll grab him at 1-1 and not think twice. I tend to trust their evaluations over pundits and sports writers, the only caveat being that since college athletes are subject to more rigorous analysis than those in high school Elias might gravitate towards them in the belief that the Orioles are less likely to get burned by a highly touted 21 year old prospect than they would by a 17 or 18 year old. 

All true. I’m just antsy. But yea, if I had to put money on it right now, my gut is saying it’s Lee. 

Won't the Orioles at 1-1 have the advantage of exchanging numbers with any of the draft eligible players prior to the draft to gauge their interest in signing?  If any of the high school players use their leverage to go to college than that just leaves the Orioles with the choice of drafting a college player.  I'd think it would be foolish for the top high school players to delay their path to the majors by considering the college route.