McKenna optioned to Norfolk

SteveA

The presumption is that Santander will be activated from the IL to take his place.

If so, tomorrow night in Washington will mark the first time ever that the Orioles have had Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Santander, Mountcastle, and Mancini on the active roster at the same time.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The presumption is that Santander will be activated from the IL to take his place.

If so, tomorrow night in Washington will mark the first time ever that the Orioles have had Hays, Mullins, Stewart, Santander, Mountcastle, and Mancini on the active roster at the same time.

Just realized it’s in DC.

Outfield alignment and who plays first should be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They learned their lesson from that experiment in Bowie.

Franco has played 36 games at third he has 54 ground balls to him so 1.5 game on average.  Mountcastle can field he just doesn’t have a great arm.  Catch the ball if you don’t get him or he beats the throw so be it.  He is athletic enough to catch them.  

• 2 weeks later...

Are we hurting McKenna’s development right now by using him only vs LHP, and then as a defensive replacement?  The guy was actually putting up decent numbers in AAA. 

He might not be a top prospect, but we should have a vet filling the role that he’s filling right now. It’s kind of a waste. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Are we hurting McKenna’s development right now by using him only vs LHP, and then as a defensive replacement?  The guy was actually putting up decent numbers in AAA. 

He might not be a top prospect, but we should have a vet filling the role that he’s filling right now. It’s kind of a waste. 

Hyde said yesterday that Hays is projected to be activated late next week.  I would think that McKenna will return to AAA then if there are not more injuries in the mean time.  The O's need a backup CF until Hays returns.

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well if Hays can make it through his rehab (and I would max that out btw) McKenna will be back in Norfolk by July 1.  It’s the managers job to put him in the right spots while he’s here.  Hyde hasn’t buried him.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Now here’s an example of a bad thread bump.   I saw the thread title and assumed McKenna had been optioned again.   Better to just start a new thread on point.   

As to your point, the advantage of a guy like McKenna is he has options.   When Hays, Santander, Stewart and Mullins are all healthy you can send him back to AAA without fear of a waiver claim.   That’s probably not the case with a veteran player.   I agree McKenna might be better off getting consistent at bats in AAA, but that’s life.

By the way, McKenna made an important play in the 9th inning last night as a defensive replacement, catching a sinking liner in short LF when the Twins had a runner on 2B and nobody out.   I doubt Stewart, who McKenna had replaced, would have made that play.