O's @ Gnats 5-22

scOtt

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Plutko did not put yesterday (except in Philip's imaginary world)

Plutko did not pitch Thursday.

Plutko threw 10 pitches Wednesday.

I now return you to Philip's imaginary game thread.  Enjoy.

Yes you are correct, And you’re the fourth person to mention it, So you’re a bit late to the party. I had accidentally misread today’s box score as yesterday’s.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Yes you are correct, I just edited my comment. I accidentally missed read today’s box score as yesterday’s box score, and then went back and looked. Last time he pitched was the 19th. I went and corrected it

We're going to have to DFA you to Aberdeen (Proving Grounds) for that one. You 'n yr squeaky cello too!

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Yes you are correct, And you’re the fourth person to mention it, So you’re a bit late to the party. I had accidentally misread today’s box score as yesterday’s.

I am at the game and only looking at the game thread between innings.  Sorry that I cannot immediately correct stupidity when I encounter it.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Hell needs musicians too, you know...

? But what I remember from reading Dante's Commedia a long time ago was that no divine music ever found its way into the Inferno. Only wails, lamentation, and gnashing of teeth--and the thunder of God's footsteps crashing through the deepest ring of Hell.

17 minutes ago, LA2 said:

? But what I remember from reading Dante's Commedia a long time ago was that no divine music ever found its way into the Inferno. Only wails, lamentations, and gnashing of teeth--and the thunder of God's footsteps crashing through the deepest ring of Hell.

There is an interesting twist on that concept in the book by Taylor Caldwell, called “dialogues with the devil”

In The discussions between Lucifer and Gabriel, Lucifer explains that in hell,  everything is the opposite. Nothing is allowed except perfection.

Everything is perfect, no mistakes are allowed. No individuality, no creativity, no contrasting concepts, everything is flawless, and the damned soul that is experiencing that realization suddenly bursts into tears And the nearby damned souls rush to him and attempt to drink his tears. It’s an incredibly powerful book, even for me, a devoted protestant. If you’re into such things I would highly recommend you look it up.

Edited by Philip

46 minutes ago, Philip said:

There is an interesting twist on that concept in the book by Taylor Caldwell, called “dialogues with the devil”

In The discussions between Lucifer and Gabriel, Lucifer explains that in hell,  everything is the opposite. Nothing is allowed except perfection.

Everything is perfect, no mistakes are allowed. No individuality, no creativity, no contrasting concepts, everything is flawless, and the damned soul that is experiencing that realization suddenly bursts into tears And the nearby damned souls rush to him and attempt to drink his tears. It’s an incredibly powerful book, even for me, a devoted protestant. If you’re into such things I would highly recommend you look it up.

Taylor Caldwell died in 1985.  Her book "Dialogues with the Devil" was written in 1967.

I never read that one, but I did once read Caldwell's book "The Devil's Advocate," written in 1952. 

My high school English teacher had suggested that those of us who were looking for a book on which to do a book report might want to read "The Devil's Advocate."  So I went to the local library, found Caldwell's book, wrote my report on it, and handed it in.

The teacher took one look at my report, came to my desk, and told me I'd gotten the author's name wrong.  I protested that I was sure I was right.

After he read my synopsis, he realized that the book I had read, though it had the same title, was a completely different book from the one he had recommended, which was written by Morris West in 1959, seven years after Caldwell's novel.  He had no idea that Caldwell's book existed.

I eventually read West's book as well.  I thought both of them were interesting.