OBP machines

Sports Guy

I keep seeing mention of Servideo's OBP and, while it's a stat that shows promise, I don't think one can say that his current level is too easy for him when you also factor in his BA (.239) and SLG (.304).  So, where do those indicators need to be before he becomes a serious candidate for promotion?  Or, if he continues to walk at a high rate, should he be promoted to a level where pitchers challenge him and force him to hit for average and show some pop?

23 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I keep seeing mention of Servideo's OBP and, while it's a stat that shows promise, I don't think one can say that his current level is too easy for him when you also factor in his BA (.239) and SLG (.304).  So, where do those indicators need to be before he becomes a serious candidate for promotion?  Or, if he continues to walk at a high rate, should he be promoted to a level where pitchers challenge him and force him to hit for average and show some pop?

I would be ok keeping him in Delmarva right now but I would have one of Henderson or Westburg in AA and the other in Aberdeen.  

I actually would be ok with Servideo in AA but since his hit took is behind the others, he can stay for now.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I seriously doubt either is skipping Aberdeen.  

I do too..doesn’t mean they shouldn’t though.  

Henderson especially has a case for it since he competed in the camp last year.

The larger point for me is that they both can play SS everyday and I think that’s important.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I do too..doesn’t mean they shouldn’t though.  

Henderson especially has a case for it since he competed in the camp last year.

The larger point for me is that they both can play SS everyday and I think that’s important.

Especially because there is a backlog at shortstop in Aberdeen as well, with Joey Ortiz and Adam Hall splitting time.

In Bowie, Cadyn Grenier has shortstop all to himself, and he is not a prospect at this point.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Especially because there is a backlog at shortstop in Aberdeen as well, with Joey Ortiz and Adam Hall splitting time.

In Bowie, Cadyn Grenier has shortstop all to himself, and he is not a prospect at this point.

Right...it’s nice to have all these SS but let’s face facts, we need to find out if either (or both) of Henderson and Westburg can handle the position.  It’s a big point to know heading into the offseason.

Again, perhaps the team already knows but I think we need to see them play more anyways.  Not to mention, The bats are playing up and Henderson faced the higher competition at the camp last year and apparently fared very well.

I just don’t see it hurting their development if they skip Aberdeen but I do agree it’s more likely they both go to Aberdeen and maybe Ortiz moves to Bowie.

Maybe player development has evolved, but I still think anything less than 90%+ SS Games Played in minor leagues strongly hints the team doesn't project the player there at the MLB level.   Elias two Sundays ago in the booth described one of the thoroughbreds as playing SS "and also 3B".   That kind of comment from a GM about a Low-A guy also hints to me not really a SS, though in a young confident player's mind you want to be tactful about that kind of thing.

Before the Rangers' astonishing Kiner-Falefa experiment this year, DeJong was the only MLB SS regular I could find who didn't play nearly 100% of their minor league games at SS.   The also thoroughbred-sized Carlos Correa played all 2466 minor league innings at shortstop.   

Gunnar and Westburg combined this morning look like they have only two-thirds (12/18) of Delmarva's SS games played.   Unless the org puts one of them on a Cal-like run whenever Grenier gets pushed aside, I think the May deployment says 3B/2B.   It's nice to see their Bats looking good so far to carry those positions well.

• Upvote 1