Is it time to consider demoting Mountcastle?

MurphDogg

37 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t know who is at Bowie, but what’s wrong with promoting someone from there? I haven’t checked the roster, so I don’t know whether they’re all 19 or they’re all terrible

I think they can only promote players from the AAA level right now because of the Covid protocols.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

So can you promote to Norfolk and then promote to MLB, or is there a waiting period after getting to AAA? 

That is how I understood it. Basically promote to AAA and then a "waiting period" before a promotion to MLB. I think the AAA has their vaccines and essentially confined as a group as it is at the MLB level...

48 minutes ago, Philip said:

God bless you, brother, you should be.

He has a sprint speed in the 76th percentile in MLB and a decent arm. He just got terrible jumps. He only played 26 games in the minors in the outfield and looked bad in 14 games in the Majors this year after looking slightly below average in 25 games last year. 

He has barely played the outfield in his entire life, having played more difficult defensive positions up until 2019. I don't know why the book is written after 39 MLB games. The Orioles did him a tremendous disservice putting him at first base in Norfolk for most of 2019.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He has a sprint speed in the 76th percentile in MLB and a decent arm. He just got terrible jumps. He only played 26 games in the minors in the outfield and looked bad in 14 games in the Majors this year after looking slightly below average in 25 games last year. 

He has barely played the outfield in his entire life, having played more difficult defensive positions up until 2019. I don't know why the book is written after 39 MLB games. The Orioles did him a tremendous disservice putting him at first base in Norfolk for most of 2019.

Yes he’s very fast, and for some reason hasn’t been able to use his speed to advantage in the OF. He must get lousy jumps, run bad routes or get bad reads, or some combo of the above. But he also has a weak arm. I’ve watched him make throws that I could improve upon, and his baseball instincts don’t seem to be good; couple games ago, he threw late, or to the wrong base, and allowed a guy to tag at first and go to second, I think? I didn’t see the play but Palmer mentioned it.

In left Field he’s already minus 5 outs above average, but he’s plus one at 1B. I was trying to find stats on his arm strength and throwing speed and accuracy, but couldn’t.

If he’s pushing or getting discouraged, sending him down for a bit might well be a good idea, but no one is going to admit that.

7 minutes ago, vab said:

Leave the kid alone, he will be fine. I remember a certain player a few years ago who was struggling in his 2nd year and everyone wanted him sent down. Leading the league in RBIs now. 

Gunnar Henderson?

You didn't mean Rafael Devers did you?

Things have changed a lot since the beginning of the season.  Mullins is now an everyday CF not a 4th OFer as some thought.  For a while the O's were fighting to be a .500 team but now they are the worst team in baseball and there is really no reasonable hope of being a .500 team.   Players that are thought to be part of the future can get at bats now that might have been sent  down if they struggled. 

Mountcastle was thought to be an everyday left fielder coming out of ST.   But compared to Hays, Mullins, Santander and even Stewart, Mountcastle did not play as well in the outfield.  And with the players the O's have on the 40 man roster he does not project to be in the outfield  much except when injuries hit.

I do object to fans saying Mountcastle has not position.  I think he plays pretty well at 1B and will get better with more reps there.  He is a 1B/DH who plays LF infrequently.     

Let Mountcastle play in the majors.   He is not holding anyone back.  He has the potential to be a good hitting and a good 1B/DH sharing time with Mancini.   There always seem to be someone injured to allow Mountcastle to get at bats.   Already this season Santander, Hays and Stewart have been injured.  Who knows who is next?  But there does appear to a ways to get Mountcastle at bats as he learns to hit at the major league level.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...