Cedric Mullins as a CF

accinfo

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

A few more bombs and he's starting to look less like pre-concussion Brian Roberts and more like Mookie Betts without the arm. What we're seeing is nothing short of incredible. His ABs look so professional compared to much of the rest of the lineup. Everything is so under control, like watching an All-Star player that has been doing this for years. It's really remarkable. Like most everyone else, I had him pegged for 4th outfielder. It's like he just up and decided, screw this, I'm going to be great. 

I'm a fan of Mullins, but comparing him to Betts might be extreme.  How about Adam Jones w/ better plate discipline and less of an arm.  I would be happy w/ that.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

A few more bombs and he's starting to look less like pre-concussion Brian Roberts and more like Mookie Betts without the arm. What we're seeing is nothing short of incredible. His ABs look so professional compared to much of the rest of the lineup. Everything is so under control, like watching an All-Star player that has been doing this for years. It's really remarkable. Like most everyone else, I had him pegged for 4th outfielder. It's like he just up and decided, screw this, I'm going to be great. 

I was thinking Ichiro without the arm. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm a fan of Mullins, but comparing him to Betts might be extreme.  How about Adam Jones w/ better plate discipline and less of an arm.  I would be happy w/ that.

Right, I'm sticking with poor man's Betts - even if he out-plays Betts for the season.  Betts is a superstar, and it's unrealistic to expect Mullins to play at his level in future years.  

Just now, Aristotelian said:

See this is what I’m talking about.

People are trying to comp him to Betts and now Ichiro.

Ichiro is one of the best all around players ever and is an easy HOFer.  Betts is on his way as well.

Mullins was able after thought prior to April.  He had a “normal” May and now all of a sudden, we are comping him to HOFers?

Its crazy.  Just enjoy Mullins for what he is doing now and let’s see if he can keep it up this year and next year.  If he can provide us a real sample size that he can keep this up, at that we can start making this statements.   But right now, we are about a month plus one series.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ichiro is one of the best all around players ever and is an easy HOFer.  Betts is on his way as well.

Mullins was able after thought prior to April.  He had a “normal” May and now all of a sudden, we are comping him to HOFers?

Its crazy.  Just enjoy Mullins for what he is doing now and let’s see if he can keep it up this year and next year.  If he can provide us a real sample size that he can keep this up, at that we can start making this statements.   But right now, we are about a month plus one series.  

I agree with that sentiment - Enjoy it now and let's see if he can keep it up.  It's not yet time to give him a 30 mil a year extension.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Great point. People need to stay grounded.

I'm saying something more reasonable, like Hank Aaron.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I’ve been thinking Shane Victorino without the arm, but now I am wondering if he has a little higher ceiling.  His at bats just looks so good right now.  He is laying off some really tough pitches, even with two strikes.  Its nice to see.

I just really, really hope he can keep this up and this is not some mirage.  I am encouraged that he cooled off briefly about a month ago and found a way to make adjustments and get hot again.  And I love his understated approach.  

I think Mullins is one of the core players of the rebuild along with Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Santander and Adley.   Stewart seems to be making progress toward joining that group.   They along with Means, Bradish and the young starters at AA should make 2022 at lot of fun to watch and follow for years to come.

Fans love to talk trade but to me building a core that is good and trusts each other to do their jobs is what the rebuild is all about.  Trusting that the guy behind you will hit so you don't have to swing for the fences and strike out.  And competing with the other guys in the rotation and pen to see who can do better.

I liked Mullins when others didn't so I am really enjoying what he is doing.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the general understanding is that we are talking about the type of player, not necessarily making predictions.  Sure, small sample etc etc. I am just suggesting upside of a lefty with speed, line drive hitter with ability to put some some of those line drives in the seats. Different type of player than Mookie. Might have a higher walk rate than Ichiro :)

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Every time I feel Mullins is regressing to the mean a little bit, he gets hot again.   He’s really having a great season.  

22 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

He's been on excellent surprise this season. Nobody is "untouchable", but he is the type of player they should build around.

15 hours ago, osravensfan78 said:

I’m on the other side of the fence on this one. I feel like Mullins is a strike while the iron is hot trade candidate. I don’t think he can keep this up, and with the season he is having, he would bring a nice package in return. If you would have told me that at the beginning of the year I wouldn't have believed you. I do like Mullins though, so I wouldn’t be unhappy at all if we kept him. 

This will be an interesting watch and an enjoyable one.  First, Mullins has been a tremendous surprise for the Orioles and their fans.  This weekend was just unbelievable.  The first question given Mullins' performance and the switch from both sides to one is whether or not he is setting a new bar.  I do not know.  As Frobby notes above, every time he looks like he is coming down to earth a little he shoots up again.

So what do we have?  Is Mullins growing into an everyday player?  A consistent All-Star?  The numbers suggest it is too early to tell but that's what makes this so interesting.  It doesn't matter what you think here or what I think.  No, what is important here is how does Elias evaluate the season.

Does he think it is sustainable?  Is there more improvement to come?  Is this a high water mark?  And if someone like the Yankees call...and they might, how do you handle that conversation based on your evaluation?

Mullins joins Means, Mancini and Mountcastle as guys who could be part of the future or a piece to deal to enhance that future before the bulk of guys get here.  I have no idea and that is part of why I am enjoying this season so much.  I really do not worry about Hyde and how he is viewed but when this team looks good, and it has had some good moments this year to go along with the atrocious, it makes you think of better days in the not so distant future.

But before that comes, Elias will make some important decisions regarding current guys.  None may be more complicated than the decision regarding Cedric Mullins.  Good Luck Mike...

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, if he is a guy you believe you build a team around, I would assume you would be comfortable handing out a 7-10 year deal at 30ishM a year, right?  (This is a hypothetical if he was a FA after this year)

What makes you think the O's will ever do that.   I doubt the Rays will.   There will be a time to trade most players.  Even the good ones.   But that is when they are coming up on FA and their asking price is more than the team will pay.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think Mullins is one of the core players of the rebuild along with Mancini, Mountcastle, Hays, Santander and Adley.   Stewart seems to be making progress toward joining that group.   They along with Means, Bradish and the young starters at AA should make 2022 at lot of fun to watch and follow for years to come.

Fans love to talk trade but to me building a core that is good and trusts each other to do their jobs is what the rebuild is all about.  Trusting that the guy behind you will hit so you don't have to swing for the fences and strike out.  And competing with the other guys in the rotation and pen to see who can do better.

I liked Mullins when others didn't so I am really enjoying what he is doing.

You've got three OF positions, DH, and 1B. I don't see how you can have six players in the core for five positions. Plus you are leaving no room for Diaz, Kjerstad, Stowers, etc.

It's not that I don't want to compete, I want to see what the more expendable assets we have can bring back so we can fill other needs and/or extend the window. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What makes you think the O's will ever do that.   I doubt the Rays will.   There will be a time to trade most players.  Even the good ones.   But that is when they are coming up on FA and their asking price is more than the team will pay.

That has nothing to do with the question I asked.

I am basically saying that those who think he is a guy you build around, that you would pay him that deal.

That is the type of deal franchise players are getting nowadays and if you are going to say you build around Mullins, you are saying he is a franchise player.

So, I’m hypothetically asking, if he were a FA at the end of this year, would you be comfortable giving him that deal?