Who comes off the 40 man roster to make room for Hunter Harvey

wildcard

They could let Armstrong go but he threw the ball well the other day and if Mullins makes that catch, he doesn’t let up any runs.  

They should just return Mac S.  He isn’t good.  He is getting rocked in AAA and there really isn’t room for him in the pen when he is ready to come back unless a bunch of guys get hurt.

Has to be Armstrong. No options left. So not only do we need someone off the 40, but also the 26. He actually might pass through waivers because of his 825k salary and in up in AAA. 

Hindsight 20/20, wish we would’ve non tendered Armstrong and protected Pop. But you can say that about a lot of guys. 

Urias gets a reprieve here because he is a SS option once Galvis is traded. Not that Urias has earned it or anything. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would you keep Waddell or Lakins Sr or any number of guys?  They literally could DFA almost half of the 40 Man roster and it wouldn’t matter one bit.

That's what I was thinking. There's probably a dozen guys that could fall in this category.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Has to be Armstrong. No options left. So not only do we need someone off the 40, but also the 26. He actually might pass through waivers because of his 825k salary and in up in AAA. 

Hindsight 20/20, wish we would’ve non tendered Armstrong and protected Pop. But you can say that about a lot of guys. 

Urias gets a reprieve here because he is a SS option once Galvis is traded. Not that Urias has earned it or anything. 

They sent Lowther back down, which already opens a spot on the 26 man roster. 

With Scoreler struggling last night at Norfolk, I wonder if they play the “he had a set back” game and transfer him to the 60 day IL.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would you keep Waddell or Lakins Sr or any number of guys?  They literally could DFA almost half of the 40 Man roster and it wouldn’t matter one bit.

This is true.  The 40 man largely consists of guys on the Orioles and Norfolk, who have been absolutely awful. 

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They sent Lowther back down, which already opens a spot on the 26 man roster. 

With Scoreler struggling last night at Norfolk, I wonder if they play the “he had a set back” game and transfer him to the 60 day IL.

Wells has been solid.  One good Rule 5 selection should be sufficient. 

We’re running out of infielders. We have plenty of pitchers that can come up and slum it up like the rest. I’m leaning more towards Armstrong because he’s definitely getting non tendered, he’s terrible, and he doesn’t eat innings. Plus he’s never been DFAd before so he’ll clear then go to AAA. 

If we DFA Urias, Valaika, or Wilkerson, then we’re going to have problems fielding a team the rest of the season. 

We can get by without Shawn Armstrong. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Is Armstrong’s contract guaranteed yet?

It’s only 825k, but I wonder if that would make a difference between yes-“spent all that money, gotta keep him,” and no-“dump him now and save X dollars.”

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re running out of infielders. We have plenty of pitchers that can come up and slum it up like the rest. I’m leaning more towards Armstrong because he’s definitely getting non tendered, he’s terrible, and he doesn’t eat innings. Plus he’s never been DFAd before so he’ll clear then go to AAA. 

If we DFA Urias, Valaika, or Wilkerson, then we’re going to have problems fielding a team the rest of the season. 

We can get by without Shawn Armstrong. 

Armstrong was outrighted in March of 2018 by the Mariners.  So he does not have to accept the assignment to Norfolk should he pass through waivers.  I am not saying he won't.  Just saying he does not have to.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Is Armstrong’s contract guaranteed yet?

It’s only 825k, but I wonder if that would make a difference between yes-“spent all that money, gotta keep him,” and no-“dump him now and save X dollars.”

Armstrong -  if he passes through waivers  he  has the right to accept the assignment to AAA and be paid the rest of his contract or refuse the assignment, become a free agent and lose the rest of his contract.  If he is claimed he is guaranteed the rest of his contract which is paid by his new club.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1