Friday June 4: Indians come to town

SteveA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Passan drew this link between Dombrowski and Elias in his big piece for this week.     That's the basic question before us as Elias has excelled setting it all up...he's playing the highest stakes games now.      Adley's 3.5 years is perhaps ballpark similar to the timeframe the Phillies' great players remain a championship caliber nucleus.     Adley's final 3 years - unless payroll grows, the opportunity for rosters with Burnes-Santander-Kimbrel level supporting players may shrink a little. It's more about ensuring a window doesn't close without a team maximizing its opportunity. In this regard, the Phillies and Orioles are quite similar, though Dombrowski's counterpart in Baltimore, Mike Elias, gets a little more leeway because the Orioles' period of contention is longer than any team's. The Phillies' isn't short, by any means, but every year Bryce Harper (31 years old), Trea Turner (31), J.T. Realmuto (33), Zack Wheeler (34) and Aaron Nola (31) age is a year closer to an inevitable downturn. That's when, as an executive in charge, you push. And when it comes to a willingness to look past what a computer system suggests is proper value and potentially overpay for talent, nobody matches Dombrowski. Robert fits the bill and fills a need. 
    • Since I currently have Basallo 3rd, guess I have to be consistent and say he would go first.  I think Mayo and Basallo have the chance to be absolute impact power bats while I think Holliday has a chance to be a very good OBP guy with some pop.  I'd only say Basallo because he has more risk than the other other two and Orioles seem to be gradually transitioning from catch to 1B (he's basically split time between C and 1B since he was allowed to throw. Saying that, Basallo may have the highest ceiling bat wise of the three.  Mayo is the safest bet because he's major league ready now and has developed that game power now. The arm strength gives him a chance to stay at 3B for a bit but even if he transitions to 1B or RF he'll have value. Holliday hit just .222 in June in AAA but had a .444 OBP because if his ability to draw walks, walks that he might not get with major league umpires until he establishes himself.  Really, I'm not trading any of them, but if I had to, it's Basallo followed by Holliday.
    • Keep Holiday and when he’s ready , install him at 2B , keep Westy at 3B , Gunnar at SS and Mayo is our 1B . Then after we’re set at infield. keep one of Urias , Mateo or Norby as our utility backup.  I love Basallo but he’s the one ( if we plan on Skubal) to sacrifice  Just my opinion 
    • my answer would be D- None of the above
    • Trade NONE of them!  Keep Holliday, Mayo, Basallo!   (I'd even try to keep Kjerstad too!).   Package Stowers, McDermott, Norby, Bradfield, Beavers and 2 other lower minors guys!  
    • The Cowser talk is interesting. He’s extremely controversial on here for a rookie who is quite literally one of the best defensive OF’ers in the MLB (98th percentile), hits for well above average power, and has been a very valuable base runner too (95th percentile). Maybe it’s because nobody expected his defense to be that great, but he’s not Kjerstad, he arguably doesn’t even need to be a league average hitter to still be a 2-3 WAR guy with his defense/base running. He can certainly be frustrating to watch sometimes and needs to improve in higher leverage situations, but when I think of the best version of this Orioles team, it certainly involves Cowser in the OF. He’s a better player with a higher ceiling and floor than either Hays or Mullins and needs to play to see if he can work through some of his issues. Cowser is not Gunnar, but through 280 PA’s last year (Cowser is at 278 right now), Gunnar was striking out 32% of the time and hitting for slightly less power than Cowser is right now. The rest of the season he struck out 20.5% of the time and hit 17 HR’s. Again, Cowser isn’t Gunnar, but there’s little reason to cut his playing time when his ceiling is being the best OF’er on the team, and his floor is likely not any worse than what they’ve gotten from Mullins the past 2 seasons. He doesn’t need to play every single game but he should certainly be playing more than Mullins and Hays.
    • My point being, injuries happen. It's almost impossible for a team to win the World Series without good pitching. The Orioles need a rotation upgrade to have a chance at the title. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now