Next man up on 2nd base carousel.

bpilktree

12 hours ago, Philip said:

Leyla is a career .149 MLB hitter. Lots of guys hit in the minors and can’t in the majors. The only person blocking him is him. He’s a nobody.

Wilkerson made an error today but has been playing well over all. He is worth 2 OAA so far, whereas Mr Galvis is minus 5, so let’s not call for Stevie’s head just yet.

54 PA is no basis for judgment.  It includes 0 for 22 this year, when he hit a respectable .260 two years ago in an equally small sample.   I don’t know anything about the guy but would have no objection to starting him every day for a month and seeing how he looks.   Not just numbers, but quality of at bats, defense etc.

I have zero issues with giving Leyla a full time shot considering the current options.

Luckily, there are multiple potential options at AA and above in the near future.

Jahmai Jones  - Once healthy, probably has the stick to give a shot too, but his defense is a question mark overall at 2B.
Mason McCoy - Probably a AAAA utility guy, but if Steve Wilkerson can get shots, McCoy should be able to as well at some point. McCoy is a better defender than Wilkerson and Jones at 2B.

In AA:

Terrin Vavra: Hasn't made an error all year at 2B, but the team keeps sending him out to CF in order to give him experience there and to give Ortiz and Grenier PAs. Vavra is the best prospect of all these guys, but he's a little stiff at 2B. From what I've seen though, he has better hands than Jones but will be an average defender at best at 2B. I'd like to see the Orioles put him at 2B all year and give him as much experience as possible there vs moving out to the outfield every couple of games. In my mind, he has the best chance to be the everyday 2B next year in Baltimore.

Joey Ortiz is the best defender of them all at second base and has a great turn on DP. The bat though is what he'll need to prove his major league ability but the team has been very aggressive with him this year so far, especially considering he OPS'd just .619 in Aberdeen in 2019 and now is playing everyday in Bowie and holding his own. Ortiz still has a chance to stick at SS, but he's a plus defender at 2B.

Cadyn Grenier: Like Ortiz, Grenier is a defense guy first but his bat has looked a bit better this year. He still struggles on breaking pitches though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

54 PA is no basis for judgment.  It includes 0 for 22 this year, when he hit a respectable .260 two years ago in an equally small sample.   I don’t know anything about the guy but would have no objection to starting him every day for a month and seeing how he looks.   Not just numbers, but quality of at bats, defense etc.

Oh yes, I am well aware of the small sample size stuff, and I’m happy to give him a chance, but I do not think he is the second coming, and if he’s so questionable with the bat, I really want him to be splendid on defense. I’ve made it clear that I don’t care if a guy can’t hit as long as he’s beautiful with the glove.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Oh yes, I am well aware of the small sample size stuff, and I’m happy to give him a chance, but I do not think he is the second coming, and if he’s so questionable with the bat, I really want him to be splendid on defense. I’ve made it clear that I don’t care if a guy can’t hit as long as he’s beautiful with the glove.

How many of those players exist in 2021?  You have to somewhat be able to hit nowadays.

• Upvote 1