The jerking around of Zac Lowther

Tony-OH

I remember when Gausman was jerked between AAA and MLB for a couple of seasons.  Gausman had a dominant fastball, but the rest of repertoire needed work.  I was told this was the best way to develop young pitchers.  Now Gausman is looking like an ace, except for the Giants.  I haven't watched him, but assume he has some secondary plus pitches now.  I'm glad that Elias is in charge now, because I don't think these kinds of mistakes will continue to be made.  Not too happy that Lowther is being moved up and down, but he is not near the prospect that Gausman was.

On 6/10/2021 at 1:18 PM, Philip said:

You should have an “applause” icon in addition to just regular upvotes.

I harp on some others as having had plenty of time To show what they can do, but I think it’s ridiculous to bring a guy up, throw him an inning, and then send him back down…and then bring him up for a start and send him back down. And not just Lowther. Mattson, Flaa, hmmm any others? And Mattson at least is a legit prospect.

I don’t get why they continue to throw a has-been instead of bringing up guys and throwing them into the fray for a meaningful stretch.

Mattson and Flaa are org guys for me so I don't really seem them the same as Lowther. They are the kind of guys you use to eat innings here and there and then can DFA if needed.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:25 AM, Frobby said:

You’ve (we’ve) seen him pitch at his worst.   Let’s see how he looks when he’s at his best before we judge what he can do.   But he needs to get consistent innings somewhere and sharpen up before we can do that.    

It is amazing how people can judge a pitcher on inconsistent work that they've seen on TV a few times and call him organizational filler and such. People can have any opinion they want, but it's embarrassing that they think this is the stuff we've seen in the minors where he's had so much success. 

I haven't liked wheat I've seen from Lowther either, but as I said, if some people actually to the time to read what I wrote instead of just showing their ignorance, it would be better to wait to judge his stuff when he's on a normal schedule rather than when he's thrown 16 innings since April.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

It is amazing how people can judge a pitcher on inconsistent work that they've seen on TV a few times and call him organizational filler and such. People can have any opinion they want, but it's embarrassing that they think this is the stuff we've seen in the minors where he's had so much success. 

I haven't liked wheat I've seen from Lowther either, but as I said, if some people actually to the time to read what I wrote instead of just showing their ignorance, it would be better to wait to judge his stuff when he's on a normal schedule rather than when he's thrown 16 innings since April.

This isn't a Mike Wright we've seen be mostly bad over the course of several seasons. It's way too early to write off Lowther. It's his first season and he's racked up a total of 5.1 innings pitched for his career. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mattson and Flaa are org guys for me so I don't really seem them the same as Lowther. They are the kind of guys you use to eat innings here and there and then can DFA if needed.

I thought Mattson was a real prospect. Boy that trades just keeps getting better and better…

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d leave Lowther, Bradish, A. Wells, Kremer, and Baumann, in the minors until they are actually ready to be called up. It’s obvious that the layoff hurt pitchers more than hitters, and especially pitchers that are only projected to be mid to back end guys anyway. 

I think that is what the O's are doing except for Kremer who they need in the major league rotation.

9 hours ago, Philip said:

I thought Mattson was a real prospect. Boy that trades just keeps getting better and better…

Well someone might think he's a prospect, but I just think he looks like a AAA or an up/down guy. Don't forget, you can always go over to the minors forum and look at the current Prospect Power rankings to see if I consider a guy a prospect or worth keeping an eye on this year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d leave Lowther, Bradish, A. Wells, Kremer, and Baumann, in the minors until they are actually ready to be called up. It’s obvious that the layoff hurt pitchers more than hitters, and especially pitchers that are only projected to be mid to back end guys anyway. 

Lowther is ready..Wells probably is too.