The jerking around of Zac Lowther

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know..but if he doesn’t, he’s not going to figure out in AAA at this point.  He likely is what he is.  I don’t think more minor league starts will change that.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Tyler.   I don't think we will see Alex in the majors for months if he makes it this year.

It's a long season and he'll get his shot to pitch a good amount of innings on the big club I think. Someone inevitably gets yo-yo'd in a season like this, especially with the concern over having enough pitchers to get through a game. He drew the short straw and it is what it is. 

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Lowther is ready..Wells probably is too.

I don’t agree that either one is ready.    They’ve both had very limited time in AAA, and haven’t had consistent success there.  Especially considering the difference between the AA ball and the MLB/AAA ball, I want my pitchers getting some significant time in AAA and showing they’ve adjusted to the ball before declaring them ready for the majors.    If I had my druthers, neither one would get a call-up until August.   But the weak pitching at the major league level may make that impossible.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t agree that either one is ready.    They’ve both had very limited time in AAA, and haven’t had consistent success there.  Especially considering the difference between the AA ball and the MLB/AAA ball, I want my pitchers getting some significant time in AAA and showing they’ve adjusted to the ball before declaring them ready for the majors.    If I had my druthers, neither one would get a call-up until August.   But the weak pitching at the major league level may make that impossible.  

As always it depends on your definition of ready.  For me ready means that being the majors will best facilitate their development.  At least for as long as the ML team isn't worried about actually winning games.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As always it depends on your definition of ready.  For me ready means that being the majors will best facilitate their development.  At least for as long as the ML team isn't worried about actually winning games.

By your definition, I don’t consider Lowther or Wells to be ready.   

Frobby, players don’t have to play at all levels and pitch a lot at those levels to be ready.

How much different do you really think a college pitcher his age and with his experience is going to change in the minors at this point?

I really don’t understand this mindset at all.  The idea that people act like players can’t develop in the majors is incredible to me.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Frobby, players don’t have to play at all levels and pitch a lot at those levels to be ready.

How much different do you really think a college pitcher his age and with his experience is going to change in the minors at this point?

I really don’t understand this mindset at all.  The idea that people act like players can’t develop in the majors is incredible to me.

What gets me is we have evidence in how well challenging the players works with Gunner.  He was in over his head last year, adjusted, and he's the better for it.

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Do you understand the point about adjusting to a different baseball?    I do think players can sometimes skip levels, but it’s tough for pitchers due to the difference in the ball, and when you are talking about two pitchers at the lower end of the velocity spectrum who rely a lot on secondary pitches, movement and command, I think it’s especially important that they be given time to adjust their stuff to the new ball.   

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do you understand the point about adjusting to a different baseball?    I do think players can sometimes skip levels, but it’s tough for pitchers due to the difference in the ball, and when you are talking about two pitchers at the lower end of the velocity spectrum who rely a lot on secondary pitches, movement and command, I think it’s especially important that they be given time to adjust their stuff to the new ball.   

Yes…and why can’t he adjust to that here?

And btw, do we know what ball they used in the camp last year (I know he wasn’t at the camp the whole time)

What about in ST?  Or the camp in April?  

In other words, I’m sure he has thrown it a lot.

Also, do we know that he isn’t comfortable with it?  Do we know it’s an adjustment for him?  Or is it just a WAG?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, do we know what ball they used in the camp last year (I know he wasn’t at the camp the whole time)

What about in ST?  Or the camp in April?  

In other words, I’m sure he has thrown it a lot.

Also, do we know that he isn’t comfortable with it?  Do we know it’s an adjustment for him?  Or is it just a WAG?

Might as well learn about the new ball at the same time they are learing how to pitch without illegal grip enhancers.