We’re about to get a huge dose of Blue Jays

Frobby

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I don’t see what the DH has to do with anything but I hate the DH in the NL as well. The subtle differences between the leagues are valuable. But interleague play is stupid.

I hate the DH but it looks like the NL will get it.  That’s the only difference between leagues now.  Umps are the same, no separate league offices, it’s all just for show.

47 minutes ago, vab said:

They're not going to give up the Yankees-Mets, Angels-Dodgers, Cubs-White Sox and if you're going to have those you need the rest of the interleague slate to keep the schedules as even as possible within the divisions. The 19 division games should go, though. That's just too much, they need more balance in the intraleague when you have that wild-card spot up for grabs among the entire league. 

Why not just put the Yankees and Mets in the same division?

1 hour ago, VaBird1 said:

I hate the DH but it looks like the NL will get it.  That’s the only difference between leagues now.  Umps are the same, no separate league offices, it’s all just for show.

The thing is that the American league is the American league and the national is the national. They are not the same. The differences in rules and strategy emphasize the difference, but even if the rules were the same, the national league is still the national league. If you’re going to play everybody in all of major-league baseball, why bother having leagues at all: just have “baseball.” In order for a League to be a league it has to mean something, it has to be separate. I don’t want to play the Reds. Who gives a damn about the Reds? Or the Marlins or the Brewers, (although I didn’t care about them even when they were in the American League.) We are competing against other American league teams for the American League pennant. We are not competing against the Pirates for the American League pennant.

The whole idea of interleague play is just stupid.

Edited by Philip

2 hours ago, Philip said:

The thing is that the American league is the American league and the national is the national. They are not the same. The differences in rules and strategy emphasize the difference, but even if the rules were the same, the national league is still the national league. If you’re going to play everybody in all of major-league baseball, why bother having leagues at all: just have “baseball.” In order for a League to be a league it has to mean something, it has to be separate. I don’t want to play the Reds. Who gives a damn about the Reds? Or the Marlins or the Brewers, (although I didn’t care about them even when they were in the American League.) We are competing against other American league teams for the American League pennant. We are not competing against the Pirates for the American League pennant.

The whole idea of interleague play is just stupid.

It’s mostly a relic of history.   No other sport maintains that distinction.   There was once an NFL and an AFL.   There was once an NBA and an ABA.   There was once an NHL and an AHL.    They all combined into seamless leagues, and they all have inter-conference play.   If it’s not stupid in those sports, why is it stupid in baseball?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s mostly a relic of history.   No other sport maintains that distinction.   There was once an NFL and an AFL.   There was once an NBA and an ABA.   There was once an NHL and an AHL.    They all combined into seamless leagues, and they all have inter-conference play.   If it’s not stupid in those sports, why is it stupid in baseball?

We still have an AFC and NFC, they play 16 games. It’s stupid because we play 162 games a year. We don’t care, as I said, about the Reds, we don’t care about the Diamondbacks we don’t care about the Rockies. We care about the Rangers and the Astros and the Red Sox because those guys are in our league and we are competing with them for a pennant.

It is stupid to devote scheduling To teams we do not care about. It is irrelevant whether they do it in other sports, and whether or not it works in those other sports is another set of conversations That have nothing to do with baseball.

10 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

Why not just put the Yankees and Mets in the same division?

The O's and Mets should swtich.  Then the O's would be in a division with the closest teams, Nationals and Phillies.  The O's competing with the Nationals, Phillies and Braves wouldn't be much easier than competing with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays. 

46 minutes ago, Philip said:

We still have an AFC and NFC, they play 16 games. It’s stupid because we play 162 games a year. We don’t care, as I said, about the Reds, we don’t care about the Diamondbacks we don’t care about the Rockies. We care about the Rangers and the Astros and the Red Sox because those guys are in our league and we are competing with them for a pennant.

It is stupid to devote scheduling To teams we do not care about. It is irrelevant whether they do it in other sports, and whether or not it works in those other sports is another set of conversations That have nothing to do with baseball.

I’d rather see the O’s play the Nationals than any of the teams outside the AL East.   And I like having the chance to see the great NL players come to town once in a blue moon.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d rather see the O’s play the Nationals than any of the teams outside the AL East.   And I like having the chance to see the great NL players come to town once in a blue moon.   

I really wanted to see how we would do against deGrom but we missed him twice

Edited by GuidoSarducci

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

It wasn’t the NHL and AHL it was the NHL and the WHA which merged.  AHL still exists

• Thanks 1

I wonder if fans of other teams constantly whine about switching divisions or dissolving leagues or whatever.  

The overriding factor here on this board, as it has been for years and years, is that a lot of you guys (not me, I don't whine about this) are really whining about being stuck in a division with the Yankees and Sox and their unlimited resources.  Some of you outwardly complain about it and other times you're looking for reasons why we should be in a division with the Nats, Phillies, Pirates and Mets, not coincidentally teams that are usually underperforming and when they happen to be good, aren't good for very long.

I wonder if Rays fans, all 37 of them or whatever, whine about being in this division.  Probably not as their team has figured out a way to beat the piss out of the Yankees on a budget that equates to a 3rd graders allowance.  I wonder if the Rangers fans whine about being in the AL Central.  Do Mariners fans complain about being in the NL West?

I get the sneaking suspicion that the only fanbase in baseball that actively fantasizes about switching divisions, re-alignment and other ways to avoid the Yankees and Sox is this one.

• Upvote 1