ESPN: 1 player every team should trade or trade for

Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think trading Trey for a DH is a good trade.  

Well, Huira could easily be the best hitter on the team if we got him.  That being said, the deal I was thinking was for Turang and Huira..but we likely would need to include another piece..maybe Fry.

Something along those lines.

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What a disappointment Hiura has been. Have not been following closely, is there an explanation for his struggles? How do you go from heir apparent 2B prospect to DH? 

Well, he was never going to stick at second.  He is terrible over there.

He has a big 2019 and struggled last year and early this year before being sent down.  Obviously the sample sizes are small and he turns 25 in August, so he has time to get back to where he was. His OPS is very high since being sent back down.

45 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think moving Means right now is necessary

Maybe not, but I also worry about how much of his immense 2021 gains will evaporate without whatever it is that he has been putting on his fingers. If we could get a Bedard-like deal for him right now, I think it is something that should be considered very seriously, especially since being competitive by 2023 seems more and more like a pipe dream with the early returns (or lack thereof) on the first batch of prospects like Akin, Kremer, Zimmerman, Lowther, etc.

Hell, I would even consider selling high on Mullins at this point. Between Means, Mancini, Mullins, and Fry, and the virtually unprecedented rate of injuries this year, we could absolutely clean up at the deadline with an eye on 2023 or, more realistically, 2024.

Watching the O's against the Rays and now the Astros shows just how far they are from being competitive.  They are not even close right now and don't have the firepower in the minors yet.  We really need pitching along with LF, 2B, 3B, and SS help.  We're still in the "building young player depth" phase right now.  It is disappointing and frustrating, but that's where we're at.  I was hoping 2022 might start to turn the corner but it won't be at least until 2023 before we see significant improvement at the big league level.  No first round picks in 2014 and 2016 set this re-build back.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

A deal headlined by Brice Turang for Mancini would be nice.  Currently the #76 prospect by mlb.com.

Also wonder if you could get Huira in the deal.  You need to do something with him if you are the Brewers and he is probably a DH going forward.  I know we don’t necessarily need a DH guy but that’s a bat I would take a chance on.

I think Milwaukee makes the most sense for Mancini, so I’ve been looking at their prospects a lot more. I would love a player like Turang to come back as the centerpiece and is about where we should be targeting as far as prospect range. I would also love Luis Medina as perhaps a second piece young player with a lot of upside. 

17 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

No first round picks in 2014 and 2016 set this re-build back.

Giving up high draft picks to bring Ubaldo Jimenez and Yovani Gallardo to the bandboxes of the AL East were 2 of DD's dumbest moves. I hated it then and was shouted down by people spamming "UBALDOMORE" over and over again like that somehow negated the fact that he had basically only had 1 good half season in the like 3 years prior to us sacrificing a pick to sign him.

Ugh. Still mad about it lol.

• Like 1

That fans want to just trade away Mancini, Means and Santander is not the path to contention that I want to see.  Adding Adley, Grayson and DL next year is a big step forward.  Means , Grayson and DL plus two of the other 10 starters that will be in the organization to fill out the rotation spots is  a competitive move.

Adley, Mancini, Mullins, Mountcastle, Hays, Santander add to a competitive team.   Vavra, Grenier, Dorrian are young players that may need to get a chance to improve the infield if they continue to impressive the rest of the season.  

I think Elias' off season objective should be to field a winning and maybe a contending team in 2022.  He has enough improving players to build around.  Add the FAs needed to make this happen.  Mancini has shown that he is a important part of the offense and extending him a couple of years should make the O's into a winning team sooner.

I do not like Hyde/Elias continuing to play Hays and Santander hurt.  I think they are good players when healthy.  They have Stewart, McKenna, Jones with  Diaz, Rizer, Turchin, all coming soon to bolster the outfield when injuries occur.

As I have said the O's need to not waste the Adley, Grayson and DL years.  2022 can be a winning year if that is what Elias wants to do.  Its time to start winning.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Maybe not, but I also worry about how much of his immense 2021 gains will evaporate without whatever it is that he has been putting on his fingers. If we could get a Bedard-like deal for him right now, I think it is something that should be considered very seriously, especially since being competitive by 2023 seems more and more like a pipe dream with the early returns (or lack thereof) on the first batch of prospects like Akin, Kremer, Zimmerman, Lowther, etc.

Hell, I would even consider selling high on Mullins at this point. Between Means, Mancini, Mullins, and Fry, and the virtually unprecedented rate of injuries this year, we could absolutely clean up at the deadline with an eye on 2023 or, more realistically, 2024.

Mullis is the best player on the team and right now he's one of the best players in the MLB. Since Mullins is under team control through 2025, he would be very expensive.

31 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Watching the O's against the Rays and now the Astros shows just how far they are from being competitive.  They are not even close right now and don't have the firepower in the minors yet.  We really need pitching along with LF, 2B, 3B, and SS help.  We're still in the "building young player depth" phase right now.  It is disappointing and frustrating, but that's where we're at.  I was hoping 2022 might start to turn the corner but it won't be at least until 2023 before we see significant improvement at the big league level.  No first round picks in 2014 and 2016 set this re-build back.

The Orioles are going to need to complete the roster with some FA/Trade additions. Its nearly impossible to fill a competitive roster with draft picks, as you would have to hit at an incredibly high rate. Most Chris Davis's contract comes off the books after next year so if the Orioles truly want to be competitive, they'll need to work on signing the right guys in FA and making sure they lock up their home grown talent. 

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That fans want to just trade away Mancini, Means and Santander is not the path to contention that I want to see.  Adding Adley, Grayson and DL next year is a big step forward.  Means , Grayson and DL plus two of the other 10 starters that will be in the organization to fill out the rotation spots is  a competitive move.

Adley, Mancini, Mullins, Mountcastle, Hays, Santander add to a competitive team.   Vavra, Grenier, Dorrian are young players that may need to get a chance to improve the infield if they continue to impressive the rest of the season.  

I think Elias' off season objective should be to field a winning and maybe a contending team in 2022.  He has enough improving players to build around.  Add the FAs needed to make this happen.  Mancini has shown that he is a important part of the offense and extending him a couple of years should make the O's into a winning team sooner.

I do not like Hyde/Elias continuing to play Hays and Santander hurt.  I think they are good players when healthy.  They have Stewart, McKenna, Jones with  Diaz, Rizer, Turchin, all coming soon to bolster the outfield when injuries occur.

As I have said the O's need to not waste the Adley, Grayson and DL years.  2022 can be a winning year if that is what Elias wants to do.  Its time to start winning.

Again, your assumption is that if you trade away players x,y and z, that means we can’t contend.  That’s a poor assumption to make.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I don't want to trade them, or Mullins, or Fry, I just think that there is a very real possibility that doing so provides us with the fastest and most effective path to sustainable competitiveness.

This is my position as well. It's not that I want to trade a player a like Mullins, but if Elias gets a trade offer with two or three really good prospects then you have to think about it. The goal is to be a winning franchise in a few years, and you can't allow any personal attachments to players in the organization to get in the way of winning. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Again, your assumption is that if you trade away players x,y and z, that means we can’t contend.  That’s a poor assumption to make.

So you think if Elias trades Mancini, Means or Santander he will be getting back players that will help the O's win in 2022?