Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/2663352/2021/06/25/mike-elias-former-gms-talk-orioles-and-trade-deadline-thoughts/?source=user_shared_article

This is going to be a several part article in which some of it is a Q&A with former GMs.  

This installment does discuss if the Os should trade their “big 4”(Mancini, Mullins, Means and Santander) but it doesn’t get too in depth yet.  The Q&A from the GMs is more about how do you know when you make the trade and how much does fan sentiment play a role?

Will be interesting to see their thoughts on if these guys should be traded.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Mancini will be the one to watch. Means obviously is hurt. I don’t see Mullins getting dealt. Santander has little value right now. 

Means should be healthy and have 3-5 starts before the deadline.

Santander is an interesting one.  His value is likely down but not definitely.  Teams know he is a solid (albeit not GG) defensive player, has good power and is const controlled for a while.  The Os need to IL him, probably until the AS break to get his ankle better.  Bring him back and see if he can hit well for a few weeks.  

I do think the most likely scenario is Santander is traded in the offseason though.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Mancini will be the one to watch. Means obviously is hurt. I don’t see Mullins getting dealt. Santander has little value right now. 

I agree with this. 

I would love to see all of these guys win in Baltimore, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. 

Mancini should be able to bring back some talent and it would allow for Mountcastle to move to 1B full-time. 

Means getting hurt all but guarantees he's not going anywhere. 

Every team could use Mullins, but I don't think we'd get enough in return. I'd rather just hold he and Santander at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I do think the most likely scenario is Santander is traded in the offseason though.

I'm hopeful Means can come back and throw a couple more no hitters before the deadline ??

I agree with you on Santander. No sense in selling so low. Hoping for strong second half.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander is an interesting one.  His value is likely down but not definitely.  Teams know he is a solid (albeit not GG) defensive player, has good power and is const controlled for a while.  The Os need to IL him, probably until the AS break to get his ankle better.  Bring him back and see if he can hit well for a few weeks.  

July 16th to the 31st.  3 starts maybe.  Hyde said after the All Star break.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

July 16th to the 31st.  3 starts maybe.  Hyde said after the All Star break.

Trade deadline is actually the 30th.   They wanted it on a Friday at 4pm instead of a Saturday, so no teams would have afternoon games that they might have to hold play ers out of, etc.

So if he doesn't come back until after the ASB, the most he could get would be 3 starts:  July 16, July 21, July 26.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did he definitively say after the AS break?  Because what I read was around the AS break. 

I think the latest injury update, a couple days ago, was a bit more pessimistic.   Zimmerman's expected return date got pushed a little further out too.

But Chris Davis will be resuming baseball activities around the start of September.   So there's that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I think the latest injury update, a couple days ago, was a bit more pessimistic.   Zimmerman's expected return date got pushed a little further out too.

But Chris Davis will be resuming baseball activities around the start of September.   So there's that.

Can’t wait until the spring training story lines about Chris.