Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

I don't know what Mundy will become, but to write him off as an Undrafted Free Agent in a five round draft year is a bit unfair.  In a normal year, he may have been a round 6-10 pick and we then might have had higher expectations.  I think that a lot of players taken last year and this year could have surprising careers, including undrafted free agents.  COVID had a huge impact on the scouting and drafting world over the past two years.  And, it will also provide some gut punches such as Kjerstad's situation.

• Upvote 1

Muncy definitely has alot to prove yet before anyone thinks he can play 1B for Baltimore. That's a high bar to clear for 6'0 height with 20 scale speed. Can Muncy prove the industry wrong for going undrafted? Yes, but the odds aren't exactly in his favor. Im guessing the O's are going to slowroll him and wont rush him up levels.  

5 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Muncy definitely has alot to prove yet before anyone thinks he can play 1B for Baltimore. That's a high bar to clear for 6'0 height with 20 scale speed. Can Muncy prove the industry wrong for going undrafted? Yes, but the odds aren't exactly in his favor. Im guessing the O's are going to slowroll him and wont rush him up levels.  

His name is Mundy.  I think of him as a power hitting DH that can play a little 1B. The O's have Mountcastle to play 1B.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

His name is Mundy.  I think of him as a DH that can play a little 1B. The O's have Mountcastle to play 1B.

Thanks I dont have an edit option but realized my mistake after posting it. DH is a high bar too though. You want some serious offense at those positions.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you have any information suggesting the O’s have had any extension talks with him this year?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

No.    Do you think it makes sense that Elias would be talking to Mancini's agent about what kind of contract it would take to sign him?

I don’t want to pile on, WC, But the people who are screaming small sample size do have a point. Mundy Maybe some thing, although first baseman/DH guys who hit well but don't do anything else, well, those are not uncommon. To be fair if we had paid more attention to Christian Walker he would be Miserable as an Oriole  instead of being miserable as a diamondback. But I digress.

Regarding Mancini, the team offered him $23 million in extension money before his cancer problem. If he finishes the season clean, it is probable the team will be willing to pay him his arbitration salary, but I think they would rather trade him on the grounds that Stewart and Mountcastle can handle first base and DH until somebody else, almost anybody else, is ready, and even if Mundy It’s a possibility, it won’t be for two years.

Meanwhile, getting back to “trade deadline thoughts” I think his wonderful showing at the home run derby really boosted Mancini’s value, not to mention how genuine, humble, human he came across, especially compared to Alonso, who just makes you wanna punch him. 
I’m wondering if that performance by Mancini moved the needle meaningfully towards a trade?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If Mancini can get his college coach to pitch against him in every game for the rest of his career, I'm sure another team will offer us a boatload of prospects for him.  Otherwise, I doubt it moved the needle at all.

I heard the O's are thinking about tendering him an offer but that won't do Trey any good.

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t want to pile on, WC, But the people who are screaming small sample size do have a point. Mundy Maybe some thing, although first baseman/DH guys who hit well but don't do anything else, well, those are not uncommon. To be fair if we had paid more attention to Christian Walker he would be Miserable as an Oriole  instead of being miserable as a diamondback. But I digress.

Regarding Mancini, the team offered him $23 million in extension money before his cancer problem. If he finishes the season clean, it is probable the team will be willing to pay him his arbitration salary, but I think they would rather trade him on the grounds that Stewart and Mountcastle can handle first base and DH until somebody else, almost anybody else, is ready, and even if Mundy It’s a possibility, it won’t be for two years.

Do you have a link for that 23m offer to Mancini?

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Do you have a link for that 23m offer to Mancini?

He talked about it on a podcast. I think it was actually 6 years/$24 million with a couple team options after that, and the offer was made by Duquette, so it’s not all that relevant. He mentioned how when he got the diagnosis, turning down that money was something he thought about even though he knew it was the right thing to do. It was either Jones’ podcast or the one he did a couple episodes of with Sara, but I don’t have time to track it down for you.

29 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If Mancini can get his college coach to pitch against him in every game for the rest of his career, I'm sure another team will offer us a boatload of prospects for him.  Otherwise, I doubt it moved the needle at all.

I asked because I wanted everybody’s thoughts, but I do not think his performance was meaningless in terms of trade value. 
I don’t and never did expect a hyperbolic return such as you suggest, but are any team that was interested in him before the derby is probably more so. How much, I don’t know, but the increase Is more than zero.

16 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

He talked about it on a podcast. I think it was actually 6 years/$24 million with a couple team options after that, and the offer was made by Duquette, so it’s not all that relevant. He mentioned how when he got the diagnosis, turning down that money was something he thought about even though he knew it was the right thing to do. It was either Jones’ podcast or the one he did a couple episodes of with Sara, but I don’t have time to track it down for you.

Thanks