Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Easy one. The answer is No.

I would hope not. If Elias gets a great offer for Means, you don't keep him because his bobblehead night is next month. Would also indicate the Angelos sons aren't that different then their father if a trade for Means gets nixed for a petty reason. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would hope not. If Elias gets a great offer for Means, you don't keep him because his bobblehead night is next month. Would also indicate the Angelos sons aren't that different then their father if a trade for Means gets nixed for a petty reason. 

I wasn't implying cause and effect... at least not in that direction.   I wasn't saying that they would not make a deal because of the bobblehead night being scheduled.

I was implying the opposite -- maybe the fact they just now are adding a Means Bobblehead that wasn't in the promotion schedule previously, might indicate that they have already decided not to deal Means.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think that's a more likely scenario package Stewart (or another player) with a pitcher like Fry to net another prospect in a trade. Not that you'll land anyone great, but perhaps a high ceiling prospect that hasn't shown much in the minor leagues. 

I would expect something like that for Stewart, but I think Fry has more value than that

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I wasn't implying cause and effect... at least not in that direction.   I wasn't saying that they would not make a deal because of the bobblehead night being scheduled.

I was implying the opposite -- maybe the fact they just now are adding a Means Bobblehead that wasn't in the promotion schedule previously, might indicate that they have already decided not to deal Means.

That's what I thought. 

Whoever is in charge of things decided weeks ago to have these made. At most, it means there was no deal on the table back then to trade Means. And it's hard to believe a deal's being made now while he's injured and not pitching.

I'd be shocked if Elias has decided not to deal Means or anybody else. (I can imagine the Angeloses getting involved in a decision to trade Mancini.) He'll do what he decides to do without regard to the team's promotions, and apparently without regard for whether anyone will show up to watch the team he's assembling.

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Got it. I don't see the trade market being great for Means, but I just don't want it to be ownership will refuse to trade Means because it's his bobblehead night in August. 

Part 2:

https://theathletic.com/2663500/2021/06/28/could-the-orioles-trade-trey-mancini-a-panel-of-former-gms-discuss-what-theyd-do/?source=user_shared_article

The 4 GMs think highly of Trey and all agree that it’s a tough PR move to trade him but doesn’t mean they wouldn’t if the right deal is there.

Here is what they say about his trade value:

What would be a reasonable return for Mancini in this market?

Duquette: The return is a little more limited with these types of players. Unless he’s definitely a 30-homer, 100-RBI guy. He’s got a year and a half left, so I think this is the year that you could maximize the most for him. I think you could get two prospects, one would be a Top 5 and another might be a Top 10 and then you could probably get another one that’s Top 20 or something like that. You could probably get three guys back.

Evans: Mike has been drafting and signing and developing the lower part of the system so, just in general at the deadline this year, you’re trying to get guys who are ready to help you. Maybe not, in this case, would they have to be major-league ready, but you want them to be very close. And you really want somebody whose projection, as far as you’re concerned, has a very high ceiling. So, a higher-ceiling guy in this case. If you’re going to listen, someone is going to have to impress you with some high-ceiling return.

O’Dowd: If I could find a young player, for me, a corner bat … that I can get more service-time control from and I feel is going to be a very similar producer that Trey is at the big-league level, of course. But I’m setting a high price on this one, and if I’m not getting it, I’m really working hard this winter to try and extend this guy.

Bowden: I’ve got to have back two Top 10 prospects from an average farm system 

• Upvote 3

How attractive is Trey Mancini on this year’s trade market?

Duquette: He’s attractive, for sure. At first base, he’d probably be above-average in terms of other first basemen available. As an outfielder, he would probably be middle of the pack as to what’s available. But if you’re looking at him as a multi-position guy, first, left, DH, a quality individual, a right-handed bat with power, has the ability to hit, a clubhouse presence, I mean, it’s hard to make better human beings than Trey.

Evans: I think he is going to be hugely attractive. I think he is as attractive as any (Oriole) mentioned for me. He is a guy that could slot right into a major-league club and you’re not taking on three or four years of control. It’s a much more typical trade-deadline deal. He is going to be a player that is going to be much more sought after because of where he is, not only with his performance but where he is with service time. He appears to be, from the outside bidder, perhaps a little bit more attainable.

O’Dowd: I think he is pretty attractive in the marketplace. There are a lot of clubs looking for that kind of bat that they can hit in the middle of the lineup. Probably more American League than National League because, if you don’t have a first-base opening for him, you could DH him. But I think he is one of the more underrated players in our game. He’s got a good strike zone awareness, good bat-to-ball skills and the power is there. I would listen, but I really would have to get back an impact player for me to move him because he is more important to the Orioles process right now than he is maybe to somebody else just evaluating his talent in a vacuum.

Bowden: He’s the best position player on the Orioles. If somebody asked me, “Who is Mancini offensively?” I would say .300-30-100 year in and year out. He’s an impact, middle-of-the-order three-hole hitter or two-hole hitter. Makeup off the charts. Overcame cancer. Dealt with chemotherapy, doesn’t eat Lucky Charms anymore, which I know is tough. It’s not easy when you have to give that up, because I love the marshmallows as much as he does. I’ve always loved this player. I’ve always loved the bat. What I would like to do is extend him. If I can’t extend him, then I have to listen. Because his trade value will never be higher than it will be July 30. I’m going to use the July 30 trade deadline as leverage to try and do a long-term deal with Trey.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Didn't know Bowden smokes weed.

The market for Mancini will be interesting over the next month.  I can see it both ways, I can see him definitely being traded...I can also see him being kept.  

There's a reason why Bowden works as a tv/radio analyst now and not as the the GM of a baseball team. 

• Upvote 1

Bowden: He’s the best position player on the Orioles. If somebody asked me, “Who is Mancini offensively?” I wouldsay .300-30-100 year in and year out.

Interesting since Trey has never batted .300 or had 100 RBI’s and he’s hit 30 homers exactly once. I’d say Bowden doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bowden: He’s the best position player on the Orioles. If somebody asked me, “Who is Mancini offensively?” I wouldsay .300-30-100 year in and year out.

Interesting since Trey has never batted .300 or had 100 RBI’s and he’s hit 30 homers exactly once. I’d say Bowden doesn’t know what he’s talking about.  

Well he is on pace for 30/100 again this year I believe.  I can see why someone would label him that.

Not sure why he said 300 but he is a solid hitter, especially in today’s game.