Passan: Mullins, Mancini central to Orioles plans - will need overpay to pry

Moose Milligan

Just now, wildcard said:

Rutschman might spend the rest of 2021 in the minors so  he does have to be on the major league roster during a work stoppage.  He can continue to play at AAA during the stoppage.

If they aren’t bringing him up this year and I don’t think they will the more I think about it he may not leave Bowie this year. Where most of top prospects are anyway. 

What’s the difference from 2 months in Norfolk or say 3.5? 

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If they aren’t bringing him up this year and I don’t think they will the more I think about it he may not leave Bowie this year. Where most of top prospects are anyway. 

What’s the difference from 2 months in Norfolk or say 3.5? 

200 AB at AAA could mean a lot.   And most of the top prospects that are at AA probably move to AAA in the 2nd half.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

200 AB at AAA could mean a lot.   And most of the top prospects that are at AA probably move to AAA in the 2nd half.

I’m not so sure I see Elias doing this. I don’t think the top arms will move up to Norfolk either. I think he gives them a full year at AA and then next year most start at AAA. 

54 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not so sure I see Elias doing this. I don’t think the top arms will move up to Norfolk either. I think he gives them a full year at AA and then next year most start at AAA. 

I’ve made the point several times about the impact on pitchers from using a different ball once they reach AAA and the majors.    For that reason, I really want Grayson Rodriguez to get to AAA sometime this summer and start making that adjustment.  I don’t want him just starting to learn that next spring.   I’d start him in AAA next year too but be ready for a quick call-up if he’s made the adjustment well.   

Hall’s injury has set him back, so we’ll just see how things go when he returns.  I’d like him to get to AAA this summer too, but only if he gets back to dominating at AA.

Just now, Frobby said:

I’ve made the point several times about the impact on pitchers from using a different ball once they reach AAA and the majors.    For that reason, I really want Grayson Rodriguez to get to AAA sometime this summer and start making that adjustment.  I don’t want him just starting to learn that next spring.   I’d start him in AAA next year too but be ready for a quick call-up if he’s made the adjustment well.   

Hall’s injury has set him back, so we’ll just see how things go when he returns.  I’d like him to get to AAA this summer too, but only if he gets back to dominating at AA.

Is there any evidence of that impact or is it just something we say because we think it’s true?

• Upvote 1

I was reading posts and comments at Pinstripe Alley a couple of hours ago, and I saw a lot of complaints about the outfield offense and how Badly they need left handed power-hitters And guys who can hit for average. Mullins is not a power hitter, although he may hit 25 home runs this year, but he definitely can hit for average and he is definitely left-handed, I wonder if the New Yorkers would rather have him or Gallo? And I wonder if we would deal with New York and I wonder if they would pay our price which would be very very high?

It’s becoming quite clear that Elias is tanking until all of his ducks line up at the same time. It’s frustrating because there’s only so many IP in a arm, and only so many games in a Catcher’s knees. 

They really have to fix the CBA. The product would be much more watchable if teams were incentivized to actually put their best 26 out there. 

There is no reason that AR shouldn’t be in AAA. 

We’re going to end up selling Mancini to the highest bidder. Not necessarily wrong, but there are arguments to be made to keep him around for next year. 

Any poster from the OH could say let’s just tank and get 5-6 straight top 5 picks. Then re-evaluate. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Biggest thing I want to see are these guys making as many starts as possible. They will be needed at some point to make 30 plus starts a year. 

I’m fine with GRod staying at AA for rest of this year. I just don’t want these kids shut down. Unless we are a shocking contender next year I think they will take their time with him.  

The fact that in 2021 all the leagues aren’t using the same baseballs in order for MLB to save some money is a joke. I got a ball at a Frederick Keys game one year and the difference from a MLB ball is noticeable.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Is there any evidence of that impact or is it just something we say because we think it’s true?

Lots of evidence.   The runs/game in AAA exploded when they switched to the major league ball.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lots of evidence.   The runs/game in AAA exploded when they switched to the major league ball.   

Well, does that mean it's harder to throw or does it mean its wound tight and flies out of the yard when you make contact?

Those are 2 different things.   

Also, how much of it has to do with it being a higher level and perhaps better competition?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, does that mean it's harder to throw or does it mean its wound tight and flies out of the yard when you make contact?

Those are 2 different things.   

I recall reading that the seams are more raised and bigger with the MiL ball and it’s easier to command breaking pitches.   And yes, it does fly farther.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I recall reading that the seams are more raised and bigger with the MiL ball and it’s easier to command breaking pitches.   And yes, it does fly farther.  

All true but do we have evidence that this really throws off a pitcher?  Do we know for sure that players need a lot of time to adjust to it?  I am sure there are guys who have struggled with and others who haven't seen a change from it.  I am sure some out there have talked about it but I am asking if there is actual proof that this is an issue?

It seems to me that this one of those cliché type things to throw around and say its a problem but unless there have been studies done on this, is it really an issue?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

All true but do we have evidence that this really throws off a pitcher?  Do we know for sure that players need a lot of time to adjust to it?  I am sure there are guys who have struggled with and others who haven't seen a change from it.  I am sure some out there have talked about it but I am asking if there is actual proof that this is an issue?

It seems to me that this one of those cliché type things to throw around and say its a problem but unless there have been studies done on this, is it really an issue?

It seems like common sense to me.   If you were a pro golfer, you wouldn’t go play the US Open with a set of clubs you’d never used before.   You’d want to use them for a number of rounds before trying them in a big competition.   

Now, I can’t say how long it takes to adjust to the different baseball.   I’m sure some guys adjust right away, other guys might take half a season.   I’m just saying I’d like to take that factor out of the equation for Rodriguez.   Let’s go into next season knowing he’s done that.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It seems like common sense to me.   If you were a pro golfer, you wouldn’t go play the US Open with a set of clubs you’d never used before.   You’d want to use them for a number of rounds before trying them in a big competition.   

Now, I can’t say how long it takes to adjust to the different baseball.   I’m sure some guys adjust right away, other guys might take half a season.   I’m just saying I’d like to take that factor out of the equation for Rodriguez.   Let’s go into next season knowing he’s done that.  

Well I would tend to agree that there is some level of an adjustment that takes place.  I also think it would naive to think these guys don’t work with these balls on the side, in ST, etc…I’m going to guess that GRod and others have thrown that ball before and worked side sessions with it.  

Im fine with taking away the issue as quickly as possible but I think it’s an overblown topic of discussion.