Friday July 2: Orioles in Anaheim, trying to extend winning streak to 4

SteveA

Wow, just wow. It's one thing to lose bc you have less talent. It's another to blow a game because of idiocy like this. Wd have been nice to win this one after jumping out to a four-run lead after routing the Astros in Houston. SMH.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Once he steals you have to walk Walsh.  You can't let him beat you.

Ohtani has been hot, but Walsh has had a good year, too. After Ohtani stole second I immediately thought, “He’s gonna walk Walsh now.”

Nope.

13 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Ohtani has been hot, but Walsh has had a good year, too. After Ohtani stole second I immediately thought, “He’s gonna walk Walsh now.”

Nope.

That was almost an automatic move to make and for some reason Hyde didn't do it, despite the weak batter after Walsh. What was the thinking (I hope there was some)??

6 hours ago, LA2 said:

That was almost an automatic move to make and for some reason Hyde didn't do it, despite the weak batter after Walsh. What was the thinking (I hope there was some)??

Yeah, the Orioles are bad, but some of the moves by Hyde are inexplicable. Walked Ohtani intentionally twice tonight, so obviously he knows it’s an option.

5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, the Orioles are bad, but some of the moves by Hyde are inexplicable. Walked Ohtani intentionally twice tonight, so obviously he knows it’s an option.

In a season in which the team isn't trying to win I'd rather they pitch to the starting pitcher on pace for a 60 homer season.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

In a season in which the team isn't trying to win I'd rather they pitch to the starting pitcher on pace for a 60 homer season.

Sure, but the reference was to him pitching to Walsh in the first game. I’d rather watch Ohtani, too, as a baseball fan, but I’d also rather the Orioles win.

Jared Walsh should have been walked. If you’re choosing to pitch to a pretty good hitter one night in a game winning situation, then why NOT let Ohtani hit??? Or, is Hyde that bad it didn’t cross his mind to walk Walsh? Makes me think they’re actively trying to lose. 

On 7/2/2021 at 5:55 PM, SteveA said:
Gametime:  9:38 pm EDT

Forecast:  75 degrees, and it never rains in Southern California

Roster MoveHunter Harvey to 10 day IL, Zac Lowther recalled from Norfolk

MatchupKeegan Akin (L) vs Griffin Canning (R)

Lineups
1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Austin Hays (R) LF
3. Trey Mancini (R) DH
4. Ryan Mountcastle (R) 1B
5. Anthony Santander (S) RF
6. Pedro Severino (R) C
7. Domingo Leyba (S) 3B
8. Ramon Urias (R) SS
9. Pat Valaika (R) 2B

1. David Fletcher (R) 2B
2. Shohei Ohtani (L) DH
3. Anthony Rendon (R) 3B
4. Jared Walsh (L) 1B
5. Phil Gosselin (R) LF
6. Max Stassi (R) C
7. Jose Iglesias (R) SS
8. Taylor Ward (R) RF
9. Juan Lagares (R) CF

Orioles Bench
Miguel Franco (R) -- may not be able to play, ankle
Ryan McKenna (R)
DJ Stewart (L)
Austin Wynns (R)

Bullpen Availability (last used)

Available
   Paul Fry*  1.1 IP, 21p Wednesday, 1.1 IP, 31p Monday
   Zac Lowther* just recalled from Norfolk
   Isaac Mattson recalled from Norfolk Wednesday
   Adam Plutko 2.0 IP, 33p Tuesday; 0.2 IP, 6p Monday
   Tanner Scott* 1.2 IP, 19p Wednesday, 0.1 IP 24p Monday
   Cole Sulser 1.1 IP, 21p Wednesday, 1.2 IP, 37p Monday
   Dillon Tate 2.2 IP, 35p Tuesday

Spenser Watkins recalled from Norfolk Wednesday
   Tyler Wells 0.2 IP, 10p Monday; 1.1 IP, 16p Sunday

* denotes lefthanded pitcher

For future reference, how do you do this? I suppose it should be easy to figure out but I haven’t, and I hate starting a game thread without all this valuable info.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

For future reference, how do you do this? I suppose it should be easy to figure out but I haven’t, and I hate starting a game thread without all this valuable info.

Lineups and weather are at baseball press.com/lineups.  I just keep track of the bullpen usage on paper, takes just a couple minutes to do after each game.  I check Roch and Steve on masnsports.com to find out about any roster moves.