2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

We're 10 years past the 5th round Mookie pick by the Red Sox.   As Mookie proved himself just about the best player in the world, the 5th round pedigree made me slower to recognize.

Between now and then, covid really taught me draft position is meaningless among the best talents, and Signing Bonus is a better barometer of how the Club values the Player.

From Round 5, Pick 172, Mookie signed for 750K.   In 2011, that was about the 70th highest bonus.  

The Orioles in the 6th round that year passed out $1.5M on I believe the biggest post-Mookie bonus in the entire draft, Nicky Delmonico.  Good work there...

At some point next week, Rhodes, Trimble, etc. might get $750K, or might get $1.5M.   

One could probably make a strong case that, considering he made the majors, the Delmonico pick was a good overslot pick.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You want him to dig for information? Seems unrealistic.

Or, you know, ask.

I don't expect him to go talk to the player's agent or anything crazy like that.  I'm sure he's allowed to ask the Intern tasked with feeding him information questions.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Gotta believe Rhodes, Willems and Craig are the overslots at this point

Possibly, but I’ll be shocked if they cost $1.8 mm overslot.   It won’t surprise me if we underspend our allotment by $1 mm+.