2021 2nd round pick (41): Connor Norby - 2B - (Junior) East Carolina University

9 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I'll take it. Middle INF like that will be a massive need. Henderson should be at 3B and Westburg at SS on the next couple competing orioles teams, but who plays 2B? If we can fast track this guy based on bat and overall ok defense alone, it'll be a solid pick. 

Norby has the potential to be ready by the second half of the 2022 season if he's a fast riser. If Norby's bat can play and his defense is adequate enough at 2B, then it's entirely reasonable to expect him to be the primary 2B in 2023. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Norby has the potential to be ready by the second half of the 2022 season if he's a fast riser. If Norby's bat can play and his defense is adequate enough at 2B, then it's entirely reasonable to expect him to be the primary 2B in 2023. 

It's entirely reasonable other than the fact that Elias hasn't been aggressive in his promotions to date, quite the opposite.

Might he change course to try and get a competitive window open?  Sure, but we haven't seen it yet.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's entirely reasonable other than the fact that Elias hasn't been aggressive in his promotions to date, quite the opposite.

Might he change course to try and get a competitive window open?  Sure, but we haven't seen it yet.

Well yeah I can't control that, but top college talent usually doesn't require too much seasoning in the minor leagues.

I'm hoping Elias is slow walking prospects because he's still in tanking mode. And that changes if/when the Orioles become competitive again. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well yeah I can't control that, but top college talent usually doesn't require too much seasoning in the minor leagues.

I'm hoping Elias is slow walking prospects because he's still in tanking mode. And that changes if/when the Orioles become competitive again. 

I'd assume that's the idea. No need to rush anyone up right now when we still have a year or two of absolutely being awful.

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

I'd assume that's the idea. No need to rush anyone up right now when we still have a year or two of absolutely being awful.

Adley Rutschman is the best catcher in the Orioles system, but I can understand not wanting to burn a year of service time this season on him. But by 2023, the Orioles should be in competitive mode (not saying in the playoffs) and you want players like Norby to be in the major leagues if they are ready.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

We are all hoping that.   But we just don't know.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Adley Rutschman is the best catcher in the Orioles system, but I can understand not wanting to burn a year of service time this season on him. But by 2023, the Orioles should be in competitive mode (not saying in the playoffs) and you want players like Norby to be in the major leagues if they are ready.

2023 the rebuild should start to be winding down, and it will really just depend on the pitching. But in theory Norby should be up in that time frame too.

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

OK, so let’s look at the top two rounds of the 2019 draft.  
Round 1: 27 players drafted out of college, 2 have played in the majors.  
Round 2: 24 players drafted out of college, none have played in the majors yet.   

Let’s go to 2018:

Round 1: 20 players drafted out of college, 13 have played in the majors

Round 2: 19 players drafted out of college, 2 have played in the majors.

Based on that, I’d say it’s extremely unlikely that Norby or even Cowser plays on the Orioles in any part of 2022.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

OK, so let’s look at the top two rounds of the 2019 draft.  
Round 1: 27 players drafted out of college, 2 have played in the majors.  
Round 2: 24 players drafted out of college, none have played in the majors yet.   

Let’s go to 2018:

Round 1: 20 players drafted out of college, 13 have played in the majors

Round 2: 19 players drafted out of college, 2 have played in the majors.

Based on that, I’d say it’s extremely unlikely that Norby or even Cowser plays on the Orioles in any part of 2022.   

But pretty likely in 2023.