Nice article on player development in MiLB.

7Mo

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

High OBP and walk rate is a talent. At least Billy Beane seems to think so. Ideally it is both/and but seemed like DD went in the extreme opposite direction to the point it seemed like he thought OBP was overrated and he just didn't care. 

I mean I would target overall talent before I started trying to target flawed players that were talented in one particulate area, at least with the draft.

Established players I could see being very selective with what I'm targeting.

Take Stewart for instance, basically all he was plus at was getting on base.  I don't find that compelling when put up against someone like Jones.  (Stewart was the 25th pick in his draft, Jones was 37th).

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean I would target overall talent before I started trying to target flawed players that were talented in one particulate area, at least with the draft.

Established players I could see being very selective with what I'm targeting.

Take Stewart for instance, basically all he was plus at was getting on base.  I don't find that compelling when put up against someone like Jones.  (Stewart was the 25th pick in his draft, Jones was 37th).

Stewart showed good power in college.  In three years of college he hit .344/.481/.570.    I would not say he was considered a one-trick pony.   There were some known issues with his batting stance.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Stewart showed good power in college.  In three years of college he hit .344/.481/.570.    I would not say he was considered a one-trick pony.   There were some known issues with his batting stance.  

I don't think his power was projected as a plus tool.