Monday July 19: O's travel to St Pete to try to win their 3rd in a row

SteveA

1 hour ago, Philip said:

@Tony-OH

So how much longer do we need before we can start upgrading our predictions for Watkins future? 16 innings is the smallest of small sample sizes, but he seems to be one of these guys with excellent command-and-control, but not much velocity and a mediocre fastball. But he sure seems to make it work so far.

He throws a high percentage of good strikes And only gave up what, two or three hard hit balls?

I'll look at the statcast data after tonights start. He does a nice job of mixing speeds and working on the edge of the zone.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

The game that Tate gave everything he had to close it out, Wynns had that look of complete sympathy as he came out to congratulate him and Tate put his weary head down on his catcher's chest. Remarkable moment that MLB.com took out of its highlights clip.

@weamsie and I agree!  @Legend_Of_Joeywill also!  ⚾

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll look at the statcast data after tonights start. He does a nice job of mixing speeds and working on the edge of the zone.

From Dubroff's quotes post game:

“He’s a great story,” Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said. “I just like that he’s pitching with confidence. The home plate umpire, who I’ve known for a long time, just mentioned to me that he was impressed with his stuff. He was surprised that he hadn’t been in the big leagues for very long, just because of the crispness of his stuff and how he can command.

“He’s not going to be overpowering, but he’s got a nice cutter, throws some good changeups to a mostly left-handed lineup, with a breaking ball, and is able to locate his four-seamer. Able to work in and out and change speeds, so he’s pitching. The old-school art of pitching instead of trying to blow the ball by everybody at the top of the zone. It’s fun to watch.”

“I’ve learned pretty much entirely who I am as a pitcher,” said Watkins, who’s 28. “I’ve always kind of had an idea of who I was as a pitcher, but the ability that this staff has had to kind of maximize who I am as a pitcher and really upgrade me in a sense, I’m still me, but I think there were some upgrades that came along with just working different things and how to maximize my stuff. It’s just been incredible.”

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2021/07/20/spenser-watkins-shines-orioles-defeat-rays-third-straight-win/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=spenser-watkins-shines-orioles-defeat-rays-third-straight-win