Monday July 19: O's travel to St Pete to try to win their 3rd in a row

SteveA

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

In a close game that looks like it will stay close I like to work backwards with the bullpen, starting with the 9th.  Who will we use to close it out?  Decide that and then figure out who will pitch the 7th/8th.  Ok, who will pitch in the 6th?

It's tough tonight because I have no idea if Hyde wants to use guys for the 3rd consecutive day like Scott and Tate for the 3rd day in a row.  Or how he views Wells...still a multi inning guy or now more as a late inning high leverage guy.

I don't want to see Scott or Tate on a 3rd straight day, so I'd be looking at trying to get it done with Fry, Wells, and Sulser.  Not sure what order.

And while I type all this it goes from 2-0 to 5-0 and the equation changes!

Who goes down for Means? 

Just now, Philip said:

Does anybody else despise the camera work? Jim Palmer was talking about a rose arenas strong arm and great throw, but the cameraman was focusing on the run or speeding toward the plate, and we got exactly none of the throw

Pretty sure they’re using the TB feed.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

In a close game that looks like it will stay close I like to work backwards with the bullpen, starting with the 9th.  Who will we use to close it out?  Decide that and then figure out who will pitch the 7th/8th.  Ok, who will pitch in the 6th?

It's tough tonight because I have no idea if Hyde wants to use guys for the 3rd consecutive day like Scott and Tate for the 3rd day in a row.  Or how he views Wells...still a multi inning guy or now more as a late inning high leverage guy.

I don't want to see Scott or Tate on a 3rd straight day, so I'd be looking at trying to get it done with Fry, Wells, and Sulser.  Not sure what order.

And while I type all this it goes from 2-0 to 5-0 and the equation changes!

Exactly, with a close game, I would still be inclined to let Watkins start the next inning, because I want to see what he can do, and he’s been quite good so far. But I would have a lefty ready to go, so I would probably have Fry warmed

Up by six, I actually would probably do exactly the same thing, but I would give Watkins a slightly longer leash.

I’m really interested in seeing if he can go another 20 pitches. 80 good pitches is a starter.

And here is to start the sixth!

edit: The lineup is lefty heavy so I wouldn’t bring in Fry. Sulser or Wells?

Edited by Philip

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Starting to digest some of the almost year end numbers, he's looking good for 3rd MLB-wide in HR. The .228 BABIP is lowest by a good deal among today's 131 qualified Bats on FG.    That isn't an accident - his 30.4 GB% is 2nd lowest to Mookie Betts.     Santander has been about as successful as any MLB hitter getting ground balls out of the equation.    Elevate and Celebrate! The difference between an 80 bat like Mookie and him is Mookie can do it without popping up a zillion times - Santander's infield fly ball rate near the top. At year end on the other end of that sort, Cowser is still leading MLB at that Votto-ish "never pops up" thing.
    • It’s good to see Burnes getting into top form just as the playoffs are looming.   
    • Burnes can pitch on normal rest and lineup for Game 1. Thurs against NY and Tuesday for Game 1.  Eflin and others may need to be moved around. Kremer/Suarez combo for Game 3 (if necessary).  The Twins series likely won’t matter for us, unless the Yankees tank. This will allow some flexibility to skip guys to line them up for the following week. 
    • By WAR, Gil is about tied with Cowser at 2.4 fangraphs/3.6 bbref (cowser is basically the reverse of that.)  Wells is slightly ahead of both but he's slumping.  Pretty tight race to be honest. A good week from Cowser could seal it.   As it stands i probably give it to Gil just because starting pitchers are so hard to come by.  But Cowser could change my mind.
    • Nobody is claiming that. However he did hit last night but he let 2 or 3 balls get past him and missed a throw from Jackson.  If a guy gets optioned after showing a sign of improvement at the plate, but struggles to field his position, what's the most likely overwhelming deciding factor then? The Orioles are an organization that believes in strong defensive play, which is why we carried a player like Urias or Mateo for so many seasons even when they were struggling to hit.
    • If his year is over, B-Ref has it -0.7 WAR in 41 PA. That is turning up the heat some on 2023 Colton Cowser's -0.8 WAR in 77 PA. I'm hopeful '25 Mayo can be about as helpful as '24 Cowser.
    • Yeah that .098 average was keeping him safe. 
  • Popular Contributors