TONIGHTS GAME

BirdMan

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

I couldn’t care less about the all woman team. I care about good broadcasters and Newman isn’t. Why she has a job is beyond me

That's far too harsh.  While she does have a montone problem and has general room to improve on radio, she's improved quite a bit and clearly understands the game and seems to really enjoy it.  And in the short bits I've seen her on tv, she's done a good job.  I think she has a good future.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

That's far too harsh.  While she does have a montone problem and has general room to improve on radio, she's improved quite a bit and clearly understands the game and seems to really enjoy it.  And in the short bits I've seen her on tv, she's done a good job.  I think she has a good future.  

I appreciate your thoughts but I totally stand by what I said. An interesting voice is the most important trait for a radio guy. It is the voice that makes you want to listen to what is being said. Monotonous voice makes you less likely to listen, and that’s true almost regardless of the quality of the content.

How many times have you heard someone say, “I could listen to him read the phonebook.”

A good voice is important and even you have just admitted that she doesn’t have one. She conveys no excitement no drama no involvement when she raises her voice she sounds completely insincere. She has no value as a broadcaster.

Try this experiment: Imagine three or four random comments made by Siri.

Now imagine those same comments being made by Newman, and you will notice immediately how similar they are. They are flat and featureless and monotonic without color or charisma. Now imagine those same comments being made by Joe Angel or Gary Thorne, And you will instantly see the difference.

Kevin Brown has a marginally better voice but what he says is inane, so he’s bad too though his flaws are different.

I hate sounding harsh, but Newman has no virtues as a voice and I wish she were gone.

I’m interested to hear how she does on TV play by play.   She’s not good on radio play by play, but TV is a different animal. You don’t need to describe everything you see, because the viewer can see it. It’s more about conversing with the color person and then reacting to what happens on the field.  We’ll see how she does.   

In any event, I’m a believer that announcers can and usually do get better with experience.   Hopefully Newman we be able to improve over time.   She’s fine on pre- and post-game duties, but her in-game radio work (both PBP and color) need improvement.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ya'll, Phil is the self appointed resident broadcast expert.  Just let him be.

You know you’re insulting me, but you’re not responding to what I said. I justified my comments and I supported my comments with a valid exercise you are welcome to conduct yourself if you wish. If you do so and hear no difference, well, I guess that’s fine. If you hear the difference but don’t care, that’s fine too, but most reasonable people hear a difference and care and that is why we were so delighted to be able to listen to Gary calling Mets games. It wasn’t because We suddenly love the Mets.

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

You know you’re insulting me, but you’re not responding to what I said. I justified my comments and I supported my comments with a valid exercise you are welcome to conduct yourself if you wish. If you do so and hear no difference, well, I guess that’s fine. If you hear the difference but don’t care, that’s fine too, but most reasonable people hear a difference and care and that is why we were so delighted to be able to listen to Gary calling Mets games. It wasn’t because We suddenly love the Mets.

I also didn't say you were wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I couldn’t care less about the all woman team. I care about good broadcasters and Newman isn’t. Why she has a job is beyond me

Edit: my comment is valid, and if you don’t like it, that is a reflection on you.

I dont like Newman either.  I kind of think she is an quota hire.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m interested to hear how she does on TV play by play.   She’s not good on radio play by play, but TV is a different animal. You don’t need to describe everything you see, because the viewer can see it. It’s more about conversing with the color person and then reacting to what happens on the field.  We’ll see how she does.   

In any event, I’m a believer that announcers can and usually do get better with experience.   Hopefully Newman we be able to improve over time.   She’s fine on pre- and post-game duties, but her in-game radio work (both PBP and color) need improvement.  

And with the O's, I'm afraid she's not going to get much (if any) chance being the tv play-by-play person because Kevin Brown is a young rising star, and they're likely always going to use an ex-player for color.  

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

And with the O's, I'm afraid she's not going to get much (if any) chance being the tv play-by-play person because Kevin Brown is a young rising star, and they're likely always going to use an ex-player for color.  

I'm looking forward to Adam Jones in a few years.