08/02 Roster Moves: Richie Martin activated from 60 day IL; Leyba optioned to Norfolk; Ryan Hartman placed on the Injured List

OsFanSinceThe80s

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll be interested to see how Martin is deployed.   Will he be our starting SS with Urias sliding over to 2B, or will he be more of a utility man?

Considering the other IF options I'm kinda hoping he gets the SS duties and Urias to 2B. 

I think it's slim, but Martin offers a smidgen more upside than Pat the bat.

14 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Considering the other IF options I'm kinda hoping he gets the SS duties and Urias to 2B. 

I think it's slim, but Martin offers a smidgen more upside than Pat the bat.

Martin was pretty terrible in 2019.   But I was hoping with some AAA time, he might return as a better player.   Unfortunately he’s barely been on the field the last two years, so I’ll be surprised if the 2021 version looks much different from the 2019 version.   But we may as well find out.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Martin was pretty terrible in 2019.   But I was hoping with some AAA time, he might return as a better player.   Unfortunately he’s barely been on the field the last two years, so I’ll be surprised if the 2021 version looks much different from the 2019 version.   But we may as well find out.   

You are probably right. I still lime him and think he could potentially be a utility guy long term. 

In 2021 he brings a small hope though...not because of him as much as the player he's possibly replacing.

15 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

You are probably right. I still lime him and think he could potentially be a utility guy long term. 

In 2021 he brings a small hope though...not because of him as much as the player he's possibly replacing.

Martin is certainly an upgrade to Pat, or Franklin, or Leyba, Who has already gone down and who may go away.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Martin is certainly an upgrade to Pat, or Franklin, or Leyba, Who has already gone down and who may go away.

Why is that certain?   He was worth -1.0 rWAR in 2019.   He had a .581 OPS (55 OPS+) and he was -8 Rtot, -11 Rdrs as a fielder.   Now, I personally thought he was a little better than that defensively, but he was pretty damned bad overall.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why is that certain?   He was worth -1.0 rWAR in 2019.   He had a .581 OPS (55 OPS+) and he was -8 Rtot, -11 Rdrs as a fielder.   Now, I personally thought he was a little better than that defensively, but he was pretty damned bad overall.   

Statistically he was bad I agree, but he just didn’t look that bad to the eyes, and the guys he would potentially replace do.

edit: And in my previous comment I was of course referring to Franco.

Edited by Philip