Roster moves in July/August have been complicated

wildcard

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I can see promoting Dustin Knight but why they promoted Diplan is a mystery to me.  He has a 1.63 WHIP an  a 4.12 ERA at AAA.  

I think we're fully in the "why not take a look at this guy" phase of the year. See what you have in some of these guys who have earned a promotion looking at the full season numbers. Also, a huge factor is simply getting fresh arms - I think Elias is really trying to spread the innings around this year. Hence picking up a random guy like Anderson and having him soak up some innings. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think we're fully in the "why not take a look at this guy" phase of the year. See what you have in some of these guys who have earned a promotion looking at the full season numbers. Also, a huge factor is simply getting fresh arms - I think Elias is really trying to spread the innings around this year. Hence picking up a random guy like Anderson and having him soak up some innings. 

I agree with your entire comment, but I question why we got Anderson when we have several guys in the minors who would benefit from an audition now. Why bring in someone else’s failed pitcher When we have so many of our own waiting for their own chance to fail?

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

What numbers show that Diplan earned a promotion?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

What numbers show that Diplan earned a promotion?

Had decent numbers before the break at AAA. The WHIP isn't great, but Tony has talked a lot about the AAA ball being an issue for a lot of guys. I'd like to take a look at him, but it's likely he'll get DFA'd pretty quickly like a lot of guys this season. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I can see promoting Dustin Knight but why they promoted Diplan is a mystery to me.  He has a 1.63 WHIP an  a 4.12 ERA at AAA.  

He's at Norfolk, he has a pulse, he's not a prospect, and if he sucks he can be DFA'd to make room on the 40 for the next guy.  It was his turn.

Flaa, Eshelman, Mattson, Jannis, Wade, Greene, Watkins, Anderson, Waddell, Knight, Diplan.

Start to see a pattern there?  That's 11 guys who have gotten promoted from Norfolk.   None are considered prospects.  Many since got DFA'd, a couple might have done well enough to stick out the season but if they sucked they would have been DFA'd too and still could be if they turn into pumpkins.  Some were doing well when they got promoted, some weren't.   They all have arms.  They have combined to 48 innings so far, 5.2% of our innings.   Add in LeBlanc, Sceroler, and some position players pitching and you have over 7% of our innings so far covered by disposable pieces.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why are these moves complicated?

I think it's safe to assume he just means it's been extremely active. Also, the COVID list not counting against the 40-man has been an extra wrinkle to keep track of. And, if we're being honest, the team/media has not been great about communicating 40-man stuff.

21 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He's at Norfolk, he has a pulse, he's not a prospect, and if he sucks he can be DFA'd to make room on the 40 for the next guy.  It was his turn.

Flaa, Eshelman, Mattson, Jannis, Wade, Greene, Watkins, Anderson, Waddell, Knight, Diplan.

Start to see a pattern there?  That's 11 guys who have gotten promoted from Norfolk.   None are considered prospects.  Many since got DFA'd, a couple might have done well enough to stick out the season but if they sucked they would have been DFA'd too and still could be if they turn into pumpkins.  Some were doing well when they got promoted, some weren't.   They all have arms.  They have combined to 48 innings so far, 5.2% of our innings.   Add in LeBlanc, Sceroler, and some position players pitching and you have over 7% of our innings so far covered by disposable pieces.

Sounds like you are saying Diplan did not earn a promotion.  He is just next in line.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like you are saying Diplan did not earn a promotion.  He is just next in line.

Yes.   It's August and we've been promoting nobodies from Norfolk all year.   Some have done well down there, others haven't.   Connor Greene had a 7.39 ERA in AAA.  Jannis 5.02.  

What gives you the idea that people getting promoted from Norfolk have somehow "earned" it?  Anyone who has paid attention to our roster this year can see that is not true.   Prospects are being slow played, non prospects are getting bumped up and DFA'd when necessary.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yes.   It's August and we've been promoting nobodies from Norfolk all year.   Some have done well down there, others haven't.   Connor Greene had a 7.39 ERA in AAA.  Jannis 5.02.  

What gives you the idea that people getting promoted from Norfolk have somehow "earned" it?  Anyone who has paid attention to our roster this year can see that is not true.   Prospects are being slow played, non prospects are getting bumped up and DFA'd when necessary.

Knight based on his numbers in Norfolk is probably deserving of a look, but he's probably just another AAAA type. Diplan's numbers are average, but I guess it's his turn after the latest group of pitchers has fizzled out. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=knight003dus

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=diplan000mar

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I was the one who said "earned" to be fair. I basically agree that he's just next in line, but he did have some decent numbers when he was selected for the Futures Game. Since then it's been downhill. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

See Interloper's post just above this one.