Santander Homers Twice In Loss (Game Recap)

cboemmeljr

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

The ASB seems to have worked wonders for both Matt Harvey and Santander.

Interesting note about the latter: All 9 of his homers have come as a left-handed batter.

Really, for Santander it’s the last 7 games.   He’s hit .429/.448/.821 in that stretch.   The TV announcers were raving about him last night and saying that he’s finally back in 2020 form.   But it will take more than 7 games to convince me of that.  I certainly hope they’re right.   

It’s interesting to see that even though all of his homers have come as a LHB, his OPS from each side is pretty close (.703/.720).   His BA/OBP as a RHB have been better, though he hasn’t shown much power there this year.

• Upvote 2

Betting LH: 11 HR/244 AB = 22.2 AB/HR ratio

Batting RH: 9 HR/136 AB = 15.1

LH: 9/123 = 13.7

RH: 2/30 = 15

LH: 9/174 = 19.3

RH: 0/87 = 0

Career

LH: 30/639 = 21.3

RH: 11/286 = 26

Career before 2021

LH: 21/465 = 22.1

RH: 11/286 = 26

So this year is definitely an extreme anomaly; at the same time, the career stats, even if one subtracts 2021, show a tendency to hit more home runs, on average, as a left-handed batter.

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

His August OPS is 1.391 (only 33 plate appearances and with a .440 BABIP).  At least keep this up long enough to be POTW - then maybe POTM.      

His overall numbers have risen considerably during his recent hot streak, and now closely resemble his overall career numbers.

2021: .253/.299/.438

Career: .252/.294/.459

Of course, he’s still well below his numbers from 2019 and 2020, but he’s moving in the right direction, and quickly.    Hopefully he can ride this wave for a while.   

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

I'd like to see him stay hot through the rest of the season. That would make him a more certain answer in the OF next year (or more valuable trade chip though I don't think the OF is nearly as stacked as we thought last year). 

With Hayes being in roughly the same situation, it'll be interesting to see which one ends up with the better season.  Both seem to want to go down swinging - other than health, it'll probably come down to who is more willing to be selective at the plate.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

His overall numbers have risen considerably during his recent hot streak, and now closely resemble his overall career numbers.

2021: .253/.299/.438

Career: .252/.294/.459

Of course, he’s still well below his numbers from 2019 and 2020, but he’s moving in the right direction, and quickly.    Hopefully he can ride this wave for a while.   

And his OPS+ just reached 100. Ready to head into upper atmosphere!

27 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

With Hayes being in roughly the same situation, it'll be interesting to see which one ends up with the better season.  Both seem to want to go down swinging - other than health, it'll probably come down to who is more willing to be selective at the plate.  

I've always found Santander to be more selective even if they have similar walk rates.  Hays much more likely to get himself in 0-2 counts where as Santander is often aggressive after getting up in the count 2-0 or 3-1.  I have no numbers to back this up but that's what I've gathered from watching them hit.  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

I've always found Santander to be more selective even if they have similar walk rates.  Hays much more likely to get himself in 0-2 counts where as Santander is often aggressive after getting up in the count 2-0 or 3-1.  I have no numbers to back this up but that's what I've gathered from watching them hit.  

That's also the way I've seen it.  While Hays does get it - he says the right things in interviews about being selective - he's got to walk the walk (so to speak) much more often.