Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't think of anything I'd need 170M for that I couldn't get for 150M.

Of course I don't have children and I guess accumulating as much wealth as possible for them could be a factor for people.

If my kids don't get that 17th Bugatti Chiron and three summer homes in Tuscany, Austria, and Mauritius I have failed as a father.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

"Stole $100 million..." gets three up votes.

So in 2013 when he was worth 7.1 WAR, finished 3rd in the MVP race, lead the league in HRs and was making $3 million dollars...were the owners stealing from him?

It doesn’t matter what he did before the contract other than the fact that it allowed him to get offered that deal for his services for the next six years at a ridiculous wage.

The Orioles weren’t paying for what he had already done. They paid him for what they expected him to be.

He got an A player contract to play for the Orioles and almost immediately checked out. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

It doesn’t matter what he did before the contract other than the fact that it allowed him to get offered that deal for his services for the next six years at a ridiculous wage.

The Orioles weren’t paying for what he had already done. They paid him for what they expected him to be.

He got an A player contract to play for the Orioles and almost immediately checked out. 

The O's should have been more careful with whom they gave the contract to.

Manny for instance hasn't checked out.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I’m not ready to conclude that Davis checked out.   But if so, how were the Orioles supposed to know he would?  The contract was stupid, but not for that reason IMO.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure I buy this either. In 2020 he came into ST all blown up again from working out and was hitting. Then, they shut down and came back he was no good again. 

The thing w/ Coolbaugh didn’t look good for Davis, but I don’t necessarily think he had packed it in.

Decline is a real thing and he was much closer to a TTO than anything else at the time they gave him the contract. 

• Upvote 1

It’s quite possible the hip was more of an issue than anyone knew or even Davis cared to admit.

And no one here banged harder on him for lack of performance than me. 

It was an awful contract, (the first year of it decent), but Angelos, not Davis, was responsible for hamstringing the team w/ a bad contract. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't think of anything I'd need 170M for that I couldn't get for 150M.

Of course I don't have children and I guess accumulating as much wealth as possible for them could be a factor for people.

Really, without being real discriminating I can think of $20,000,000 things that you cant get.  

Chris Davis was a huge part of the resurgence that ended 14 years of losing.  He is also a huge part of the anchor that pulled the Orioles back into the abyss.  I understand why folks can love or hate Chris Davis.

I won't speculate on his motive, or anything he did or did not do to get a contract.  I won't disparage him for signing an offer.  Or for making the Orioles pay it.  I really do not understand the hatred for that.  Even if he cheated to get the contract, the Orioles had the suspension and every opportunity to evaluate the risk and yet they offered him 160ish Million dollars for 7 years.  There is really no one to blame for that except the Orioles.

Of course, if you want to hold a grudge against a player who disappeared after getting his money, who in his prime was suspended and potentially cost his team a World Series.  Well, I cant offer much against that.

I can try to remember how effortless his swing was when it worked and he looked at the ball instead of into the vastness of left field.  And I can remember when he would do anything to win...even pitch.

But Chris Davis' legacy is mixed and I dont see how that ever changes.  I just wish we would focus on his responsibilities and not those of ownership.  I mean lets face it.  IF Chris Davis had signed the same contract and performed the same for say....the NY Yankees.  He would be a hero.

6 hours ago, foxfield said:

Really, without being real discriminating I can think of $20,000,000 things that you cant get.  

Chris Davis was a huge part of the resurgence that ended 14 years of losing.  He is also a huge part of the anchor that pulled the Orioles back into the abyss.  I understand why folks can love or hate Chris Davis.

I won't speculate on his motive, or anything he did or did not do to get a contract.  I won't disparage him for signing an offer.  Or for making the Orioles pay it.  I really do not understand the hatred for that.  Even if he cheated to get the contract, the Orioles had the suspension and every opportunity to evaluate the risk and yet they offered him 160ish Million dollars for 7 years.  There is really no one to blame for that except the Orioles.

Of course, if you want to hold a grudge against a player who disappeared after getting his money, who in his prime was suspended and potentially cost his team a World Series.  Well, I cant offer much against that.

I can try to remember how effortless his swing was when it worked and he looked at the ball instead of into the vastness of left field.  And I can remember when he would do anything to win...even pitch.

But Chris Davis' legacy is mixed and I dont see how that ever changes.  I just wish we would focus on his responsibilities and not those of ownership.  I mean lets face it.  IF Chris Davis had signed the same contract and performed the same for say....the NY Yankees.  He would be a hero.

I have to think that things would have been different if the O's had "overpaid" Cruz for 4 years.  Maybe they couldn't have afforded Davis, or let him get an actual offer from another team before trying to match it.  Crazy that Davis had just had a .196 average the year before his free agency year, and the O's (Angelos) didn't take that into account. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I disagree that they invested in the wrong player! However, there was no reason to think that Chris would do what he did.

To me twice failing PED tests is a huge red flag.

I also remember reading about how other players on the 2014 team had to have a talk with Davis.  (obviously I'm not privy to the nature of the talk).

Combine that with the known aging curve of players similar to Davis and it was a bad risk from the onset.

As nice as it is that the story of his continued failure won't be hashed up every year, the knowledge that he is being paid for another 16 years is simply mind boggling to me.  It's unimaginable how anyone in the organization could have thought this was a good contract.  When are the guys who orchestrated the contract going to retire?  The lady is still warming up in the wings until 2037.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, foxfield said:

I have a problem with Angelos for offering it, not Davis for accepting it.

I'm pretty much always on the side of the players in these situations.

• Upvote 3

Just now, drjohnnyfeva said:

As nice as it is that the story of his continued failure won't be hashed up every year, the knowledge that he is being paid for another 16 years is simply mind boggling to me.  It's unimaginable how anyone in the organization could have thought this was a good contract.  When are the guys who orchestrated the contract going to retire?  The lady is still warming up in the wings until 2037.

It was Peter Angelos, he's already stepped down from his position.

As for Boros, the other guy who orchestrated it, why should he retire?