Rule 5 list

glenn__davis

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I could actually see someone grabbing Peralta. He's made big strides this year and could probably pitch okay out of a bullpen

Someone is more likely to take Ofelky Peralta than Adam Hall.   Not close, IMO.   He's in AAA and although I'm skeptical he has much chance of being a starter in the majors, he's a guy with at least 2 pitches who throws mid 90's as a starter.   That's a mid 90's to high 90's arm in the pen.   I think they will protect both he and Bautista.   I think Neustrom gets protected as well.    I am 50/50 on Grenier right now.   I'm not sure what the thinking would be in his case.

Great job by Detroit on Baddoo but that one is not going to change my thinking on Hall.    At this point, he's a longshot to be a ML regular.   Probably a longshot to be a ML utility guy.    I looked up Baddoo's minor league numbers and they weren't too impressive either so it's interesting what Detroit saw in him.    Hard to believe there is a team that wants to stash Hall for one year, based on his future potential.    I believe Baddoo had a great spring and is having a nice year.    Is there one person who believes the same is possible with Hall?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Someone is more likely to take Ofelky Peralta than Adam Hall.   Not close, IMO.   He's in AAA and although I'm skeptical he has much chance of being a starter in the majors, he's a guy with at least 2 pitches who throws mid 90's as a starter.   That's a mid 90's to high 90's arm in the pen.   I think they will protect both he and Bautista.   I think Neustrom gets protected as well.    I am 50/50 on Grenier right now.   I'm not sure what the thinking would be in his case.

Great job by Detroit on Baddoo but that one is not going to change my thinking on Hall.    At this point, he's a longshot to be a ML regular.   Probably a longshot to be a ML utility guy.    I looked up Baddoo's minor league numbers and they weren't too impressive either so it's interesting what Detroit saw in him.    Hard to believe there is a team that wants to stash Hall for one year, based on his future potential.    I believe Baddoo had a great spring and is having a nice year.    Is there one person who believes the same is possible with Hall?

I cannot imagine anyone taking Hall.   I’m not a believer in Peralta, either.   He’s got a live arm but has never, ever shown any consistency.  

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I cannot imagine anyone taking Hall.   I’m not a believer in Peralta, either.   He’s got a live arm but has never, ever shown any consistency.  

You are correct a out Peralta but he probably throws 95-98 as a reliever and he's passable as a AAA starter.  You have to wonder what he might do out of a ML bullpen.  Pretty sure another team would take a flier on that.  I don't trust him either but he's made progress this year.

MLB level defensive SS don't grown on trees. Someone probably takes him if he isn't protected. Hall has one truly elite skill (speed), but he's never played above Single A, and he doesn't have a defensive home. Between the two I'd think you'd protect Grenier 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Neustrom is not on the bubble.  He has a good chance of making the O's out of ST as a platoon corner OF.   Especially if Hays continues to struggle vs righties. Bautista is just the kind of big arm that Elias wants coming out of the pen.  I am not saying he is ready but he is someone that Elias will probably protect.

I agree on DL Hall, Bradish,  and Vavra.

I am waiting to see how Dorrian, Knight, Smith and Bishop finish the season.

Adam Hall, Sedlock, Peralta seem less likely to be protected.   Grenier is a big question for me.  He is supposed to be ML ready defensively and he has a nice 340 OBP at Bowie but he is not impressive as an overall offensive player.  Looks like a good UIF which the O's need but he still needs to prove his offense at AAA. He could get taken if not protected.

Like I keep saying about Grenier, JJ Hardy had a total of a .690 OPS with us over 7 seasons. If you drop the two terrible seasons he was still only around .725-.740. 

We have watched us roll out some pretty terrible SS play since JJ/Machado. Please sign me up for Grenier and a .675 OPS. Grenier is a must protect. 

Hall is an easy no protect. Where does he even get ABs in our milb system next year?

Id protect Peralta, Sedlock, Bautista, and Smith. Maybe Dorrian since we have shallow 3B depth in the upper minors. 

Everyone always wants to protect everyone every year, but this year the 40 man is incredibly weak. That’s why a Mancini trade helps with one spot. If we could get anything for Severino or DFA, then that helps. Santander trade?  

It might be time to start sacrificing guys on the MLB team has a two fold trade. One, whatever we get for them. Two, whatever we don’t lose in the rule 5. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You are correct a out Peralta but he probably throws 95-98 as a reliever and he's passable as a AAA starter.  You have to wonder what he might do out of a ML bullpen.  Pretty sure another team would take a flier on that.  I don't trust him either but he's made progress this year.

I do think another team might take a flier on him, and we might choose to protect him for that reason.    I’m just not personally a big fan.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do think another team might take a flier on him, and we might choose to protect him for that reason.    I’m just not personally a big fan.   

We’re at the point now where we might start losing 1-2 players a year in the rule 5. However, as long as we have the top pick, I see Elias taking a rule 5 player or two.

I was mad that we lost Pop, but I’d trade him straight up for Tyler Wells all day. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re at the point now where we might start losing 1-2 players a year in the rule 5. However, as long as we have the top pick, I see Elias taking a rule 5 player or two.

I was mad that we lost Pop, but I’d trade him straight up for Tyler Wells all day. 

Agreed on your first point, we definitely profile as an organization that will lose players in R5 in the coming years. We should have enough room this offseason to protect the guys we really need to, but in the following years it'll be pretty challenging. I don't want to get into the Pop situation....still annoyed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Like I keep saying about Grenier, JJ Hardy had a total of a .690 OPS with us over 7 seasons. If you drop the two terrible seasons he was still only around .725-.740. 

We have watched us roll out some pretty terrible SS play since JJ/Machado. Please sign me up for Grenier and a .675 OPS. Grenier is a must protect. 

Hall is an easy no protect. Where does he even get ABs in our milb system next year?

Id protect Peralta, Sedlock, Bautista, and Smith. Maybe Dorrian since we have shallow 3B depth in the upper minors. 

Everyone always wants to protect everyone every year, but this year the 40 man is incredibly weak. That’s why a Mancini trade helps with one spot. If we could get anything for Severino or DFA, then that helps. Santander trade?  

It might be time to start sacrificing guys on the MLB team has a two fold trade. One, whatever we get for them. Two, whatever we don’t lose in the rule 5. 

Sign me up for Grenier and a .675 OPS too.  How do we lock that in?

On 9/7/2021 at 1:07 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

If we’ve invested 3 years of 40 man roster space or Martin, then we can invest 1 year on Grenier to see what we have. 

Do we need to though? Who is going to take Grenier and carry him for a full year? We may have more people to protect now than we did three years ago. 

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Do we need to though? Who is going to take Grenier and carry him for a full year? We may have more people to protect now than we did three years ago. 

Grenier isn’t a savior. Explain to me how in the heck that a team that hasn’t had a SS in years, now has one ready for AAA next year, and we’re going to risk losing him?  By all reports he’d be able to play a respectable and steady SS. Forget the bat, we haven’t even had that except for the stop gaps we’ve signed. 

Bottomline is that you keep Grenier over some of the relievers. Always go with keeping the potential everyday player. Especially at a premium position. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Grenier isn’t a savior. Explain to me how in the heck that a team that hasn’t had a SS in years, now has one ready for AAA next year, and we’re going to risk losing him?  By all reports he’d be able to play a respectable and steady SS. Forget the bat, we haven’t even had that except for the stop gaps we’ve signed. 

Bottomline is that you keep Grenier over some of the relievers. Always go with keeping the potential everyday player. Especially at a premium position. 

I like Mateo better than Grenier right now. As long as Mateo keeps making the routine plays I think his bat and elite speed plays better than Grenier, who really only brings a solid glove. I dont see a .675 OPS in his future. .625 OPS maybe.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Because he’s not good