I'm predicting Hyde will resign soon

GuidoSarducci

12 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Fair or not, Hyde and his staff shouldn't be comfortable with their 2022 retention. Most players regressed in 2021. And I don't care about vengeance for the 2021 season, I care about setting a new tone for 2022 and beyond with the commencement of our top prospects arriving in Baltimore. While there are some players that can bridge the two eras, I don't see that from the coaching staff. 

Yeah, I don’t think Hyde or his staff should feel comfortable.   It’s 50/50 whether they’re retained.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't understand the contingent of the fan base that likes to beat their chest for a better manager, ignoring the roster that Hyde was given.  

I see people arguing that we should do it just for a change.

Its such a stupid argument but it is one being used a lot.

All this talk about "Hyde and his staff".  Is Holt part of that?  Because we know darn well he wasn't chosen by Hyde to be the pitching coach.  He was going to be the PC before Elias ever hired Hyde.

If anybody should be on the hot seat it's Holt 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’ve literally seen nobody make that argument. 

I've literally seen some people make something close to that argument on here.  

The idea that there's a manager out there that could have done significantly better with this roster this year is absurd.  Hyde's done nothing wrong this year.  

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Hyde is... just a fat guy with a beard.

Come on man, that's blatantly out of line.

I guess people just don't like the guy. Me, I think he's a good fit. The players seem to like him. As far as people saying he doesn't motivate or doesn't teach fundamentals ... how do you know that? Are you in the dugout or at practices?

Joe Maddon thinks he's the right guy for the job too:

He and I worked really really well together in Chicago, Maddon said. I have the utmost respect for him. He’s really good baseball mind. The players do really respect him a lot. The guys in Chicago really loved Hyder. Not easy, it’s not easy what they’re going through. I’ve done it, maybe not to this level, but I’ve lived that.

Hyder’s the right man for the job. I’m telling you, he’s really grounded, he’s well versed, he knows the game inside and out, and he’s got the kind of sense of humor that I know that the players can connect with.”

It's as if people here can't see the forest for the trees. The roster the front office has given him is hot garbage. The worst pitching in the majors. Some hitting talent here and there but not much. Average to below average fielders. 

People say Earl Weaver was a great manager and he was. But take a look at the players he had on the team. Those were Hall of Fame teams, not the Hall of Shame team Elias has put together.

My issue is with Elias. Don't get me wrong, he's doing a good job fixing our minor league pipeline and that's a huge thing. But, at the same time you can't totally neglect the major league team and give fans nothing to enjoy for 5+ years. 

Edited by gtman55
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've literally seen some people make something close to that argument on here.  

The idea that there's a manager out there that could have done significantly better with this roster this year is absurd.  Hyde's done nothing wrong this year.  

For some reason you put the word wrong in the last sentence. ?

Hyde is not perfect, but I think he is a very solid and qualified baseball guy. The quote from Joe Maddon exemplified why Hyde is the right guy for a young developing group. His patience and sense of humor is a must for the situation they are in. If you are in that clubhouse, you know it isn’t Hyde’s fault.

I just feel really bad for him on a daily basis. This is excruciating to watch. As the manager, it is his fault. It’s his watch, regardless of whether or not Holt’s guru status was directly tied to sticky substances or not. There is no denying that the pitching struggled more so during Holt’s extended absence. And now, they have struggled mightily since the sticky substance crackdown. And the young bats are going to go through slumps. We also have the absolute worst catching group in MLB as well. It isn’t just bad luck that the Orioles are this bad. 

The fundamentals are why they left Jones down at AAA as long as they did, and the fan base ate Elias up for months. Personally, I liked the way Jones played last night, despite the clank off his glove in right field. He made several adept plays up the middle and looked to be much improved defensively since 2020. The called strikeouts on close pitches were frustrating to watch, bad calls or not. 

In fairness, when people talk about “fundamentals,” you have to mention that this group is made up of a collage of players who are young, many castoffs from other organizations. Even Cedric Mullins had two miscues last night and looked very bad at the plate. There is a reason why they were available. I have no doubt that Sanders and Mansolino work with the players appropriately. They both have great reputations as teachers. A lot of the miscues can be attributed to pressing, or trying to do more than you are capable because you do not believe in your teammates and think you have to be a hero. This group, as a whole, does not take what the game gives them offensively. Austin Hays, I am talking to you, specifically. 

I am not sure what will happen with Hyde, and I have wondered about it since the first long losing streak. He may need to leave for his own sanity. No competitor ever wants to hang around where losing is a way of life. I hope he stays, and I hope Mike Elias gives him a roster that can compete more evenly. This is on Elias’ shoulders. Whatever formulas and algorithms they have used for ML pitching evaluation and preparation are out the window when your pitchers regularly throw 91 mph fastballs middle-middle. No genius or philosophy can overcome that inability to execute. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Change for change's sake is a poor argument.  

It's the you can't fire the players so you fire the manager approach. Even though the biggest issue on the Orioles is lack of player talent and not the coaching staff. Not saying Hyde is the guy to lead the Orioles after the rebuild, but Earl would have had a stroke dealing with this current team's ineptitude.