Who was your favorite Orioles non-superstar?

GotNitro

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised Jesse Orosco hasn't gotten more love. He was my favorite. And Reboulet with that cheezy stache and the long homeruns in 1997 against Randy Johnson?

I mean, there are many, but I liked those two, Bordick, Hoiles, Baines and Geronimo Berroa. God he sucked in right field but he cracked me up..

Dempsey when he played. Not so much as a sportcaster.

Total effort. Great arm. Great spirt. Unafraid. Block the play and take the hit. Climb the screen. Great World Series. Positive presents. Fun during rain delays.

You scooped me. Nobody got more upset with himself when he messed up or cared more about the game. I remember reading a Boswell article about how Dempsey would wake up in the middle of the night and practice his swing by the side of the bed in the dark. One time he knocked over a lamp and scared the hell out of his wife. He was the heart and soul of the great Orioles teams of the late 70's and early 80's, even though he was by no means the best player.

Moose's decade of incompetence thread got me thinking. There have been a few Orioles over the last few years that I enjoyed watching no matter how bad they actually were.

Chris Gomez - a very servicable uti guy and probably still can be. He always got that base hit when you needed him to.

David Newhan - I loved this guy from the moment he hit that homerun in his first Orioles at bat!

Eric Byrnes - He forgot how to hit when he was with us, but he was not ever afraid to get down and dirty.

I'll get murdered for this next one. Not so much that I loved seeing him play, but I wanted so bad for Fahey to succeed. I really think he tried his best, even if it isn't good enough at the major league level.

I had several over the years who fit in this category. I always liked Russ Snyder because he hit a game winning walkoff homer in the first game I ever saw in 1963 at Memorial stadium. I was 8 years old. I also liked Paul Blair, Dick Hall (from that era) and Elrod Hendricks. Later favorites were John Loweinstein and Jim Dwyer.

My most recent non-superstar favorites were BJ Surhoff and Jeff Conine.

I also liked Gary Matthews Jr and Jack Cust when they were Orioles and rued the day they were let go.

As for recent fringe players I really liked and rooted for to suceed, Newhan, Fahey, and LH fit that category.

Couple names not brought up yet:

Juan Beniquez (loved this guy in 1986)

Jim Traber (funny watching slide into bases)

Mike Young (70 Hr's from 84-87)

Dave Schmidt (28 wins from 87-89)

Kevin Hickey (loved him in 89)

Mark Williamson (89-90 in relief was awesome)

Todd Frowirth (great years in 91-92)

Bob Milacki (good in 89. Remember the combined no-hitter in 91?)

Of course my favorite now and probably of all time is now Kevin Millar. Great guy as we all know.

Other favorites of mine already mentioned:

Mikey Tettleton (loved him, used to emulate that batting stance in the back yard)

Chito Martinez (I remember a three game stretch in 91 against Tex he was on fire, think he had 8 hits, 3 homers and 6 RBI) The crowd : "CHITO, CHITO, CHITO")

Mike Devereaux (The homer against the Angels inside the fair pole or, outside according to the Angels)

Joe Orsulak (the man)

Harold Baines (the "old" MAN)

Chris Hoiles (2 Grannys in one game)

Jeff Manto (17 Dingers in 95, never hit more than 3)

Randy Milligan (The original Moose)

Eric Davis (31 game hit streak)

Neat thread, brought up a lot of old memories from Memorial.

Pretty much anyone on that 89 team. I still remember the why not? banners in my middle school cafeteria. That said, Slak will always be my favorite position player and the Otter my favorite pitcher. That curve should have a place in some HOF.

Archived