Sunday, August 29: the last game vs the Rays in 2021, thank goodness

SteveA

Just now, SteveA said:

Gutierrez let the fat pitch go by for the strike so Armstrong was able to get him out of the zone for strike 3.

Just unbelievable - his lack of baseball smarts or instincts - he's got a 2-1 count with the bases loaded and gets a fastball right over the plate... and looks at it.  I mean.... that's not a good sign.  

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Wd anyone have gone with Severino as PH here? But who wd play 3rd base?

The choice was made to hit for Jones.  Can't hit for two of your infielders with just one backup.

So the question is, would it have been better to save Urias for Gutierrez than use him for Jones 

You let Jones bat and he makes the last out the the second guess is why didn't you hit for him.

I really hate 3 man bench baseball.  But it's what we have.

32 minutes ago, SteveA said:

When you can retire 12 in a row vs one of baseball's better run scoring lineups, that's something.

And right now we already have one vacant rotation spot and maybe one viable replacement (Alex Wells), so there isn't anyone beating down the door to take Watkins' spot unless and until TPTB deem that Baumann is ready for a look.

So Watkins probably gets another turn.

I appreciate that. I don’t know why, but I’m really rooting for Watkins, no particular reason, but I would really like him to succeed.
Mullins, Wells and Urias have been pleasant surprises( in differing degrees) in a season of great disappointment, and I was-am-hoping Watkins can still be a worthwhile piece.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I appreciate that. I don’t know why, but I’m really rooting for Watkins, no particular reason, but I would really like him to succeed.
Mullins, Wells and Urias have been pleasant surprises( in differing degrees) in a season of great disappointment, and I was-am-hoping Watkins can still be a worthwhile piece.

Why?  Look at his stuff, and look at his stats.  This is what he is.  There is no upside.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Why?  Look at his stuff, and look at his stats.  This is what he is.  There is no upside.  

That’s a valid comment and I don’t have reply except to say that he has been successful, which by definition means that he can be successful. Also, bear in mind he’s been squeezed by the umpire, had lousy defense behind him, those sloppy plays that are called hits instead of errors, And today at least Hyde left him in too long. He was only at 75 pitches or so, So letting him start in the sixth is fine, but hide should’ve had a reliever ready to come in at the first sign of trouble and he did not. So that’s on Hyde.

Don’t get me wrong, those are weak excuses, but they are real ones.

Edited by Philip