Bowden’s top 50

Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/2785738/2021/08/26/top-50-mlb-prospects-jim-bowden-ranks-the-games-best-in-tiers-from-future-mvps-to-everyday-guys/?source=user_shared_article

Has Adley third (Tork 1 and Witt 2)and GRod 6th.

In another article, he talked about his top 10 hitters who will make his top 50 soon and his #1 guy was Frelick but no mention of Cowser in that top 10.

3. Adley Rutschman, C, Baltimore Orioles

Bats: B Throws: R
Height: 6-2 Weight: 220
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR:65 RUN: 35 ARM: 65 FLD: 65

Rutschman is the best catching prospect I’ve seen since Buster Posey, and someday soon he will pass J.T. Realmuto and Salvador Perez to become the best overall catcher in the sport. Rutschman’s makeup and leadership are impressive, and he can hit with power from both sides of the plate. He has a great work ethic, calls a good game, frames pitches extremely well and has strong communication skills. The Orioles have been waiting for the next face of the franchise since Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr. retired; Rutschman will be that player for the next decade.

• Upvote 1

6. Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Baltimore Orioles

Height: 6-5 Weight: 220
Scouting Grades: FB: 70 CB: 50 SLI: 65 CH: 65 CTL: 55 CMND:55

Rodriguez is the best pitching prospect in baseball, and I believe he’ll eventually win a Cy Young Award. He throws a dominating fastball that ranges from 95 to 100 mph with late life. His changeup and slider are both wipeout offerings, and he mixes in an average curveball. He’s recorded more than 14 strikeouts per nine innings this year between High A and Double A, and walked just 2.3 batters per nine. Rodriguez will be ready in 2022 to give Baltimore a solid 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation with John Means. The future looks bright for the Orioles, with Rutschman and Rodriguez making the top six in our rankings.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

3. Adley Rutschman, C, Baltimore Orioles

Bats: B Throws: R
Height: 6-2 Weight: 220
Scouting Grades: HIT: 60 PWR:65 RUN: 35 ARM: 65 FLD: 65

Rutschman is the best catching prospect I’ve seen since Buster Posey, and someday soon he will pass J.T. Realmuto and Salvador Perez to become the best overall catcher in the sport. Rutschman’s makeup and leadership are impressive, and he can hit with power from both sides of the plate. He has a great work ethic, calls a good game, frames pitches extremely well and has strong communication skills. The Orioles have been waiting for the next face of the franchise since Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr. retired; Rutschman will be that player for the next decade.

Man this is a nice write-up and all but did he really need to come in here and take such a shot at Nick Markakis and Adam Jones?      ;)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Man this is a nice write-up and all but did he really need to come in here and take such a shot at Nick Markakis and Adam Jones?      ;)

I immediately thought, what would Adam Jones have to say?   But if Rutschman can be a higher level face of the franchise than Jones, that’ll be a good thing.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt that Adley will be with the O's for a decade.  Certainly not if the O's follow the Tampa model.

He will be debuting with us in all likelihood at the age of 24.  I imagine the expected career of catchers is less than ten years after their age 24 season.  We can all think of exceptions though, especially of the HOF variety.    Joe Mauer stopped catching after age 30.....although he still hit well enough to stick around.   Seems to me Adley is the kind of guy you want to lock up early to try and save on arbitration and some early FA years.   Hopefully Elias agrees.

Tampa did give Evan Longoria a six year deal in his ROOKIE year!   Probably one of the most owner friendly deals in MLB history in retrospect.   Let's hope we try something similar here.

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

He will be debuting with us in all likelihood at the age of 24.  I imagine the expected career of catchers is less than ten years after their age 24 season.  We can all think of exceptions though, especially of the HOF variety.    Joe Mauer stopped catching after age 30.....although he still hit well enough to stick around.   Seems to me Adley is the kind of guy you want to lock up early to try and save on arbitration and some early FA years.   Hopefully Elias agrees.

Tampa did give Evan Longoria a six year deal in his ROOKIE year!   Probably one of the most owner friendly deals in MLB history in retrospect.   Let's hope we try something similar here.

If Longoria was a rookie this year with Tampa, do you think they would sign him to a long term contract?  Or has their strategy changed?

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I doubt that Adley will be with the O's for a decade.  Certainly not if the O's follow the Tampa model.

I disagree. We will likely be a blend of Astros/Rays/Giants. You keep a guy like Adley who is a true differentiation to all other catchers. The Giants have done this with Buster. We should do the same.

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

I disagree. We will likely be a blend of Astros/Rays/Giants. You keep a guy like Adley who is a true differentiation to all other catchers. The Giants have done this with Buster. We should do the same.

We dont know how Adley will hold up after age 30. His first 6 years he should be fine though. Posey's a HOF exception. 

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Longoria was a rookie this year with Tampa, do you think they would sign him to a long term contract?  Or has their strategy changed?

Brandon Lowe had his full rookie year in 2019.  

From wiki:

On March 20, 2019, Lowe signed a six-year contract extension, with two options, with the Rays for a reported $24 million guaranteed.

This is what they do.   

Maybe we should try and mimic this with our special talent.

28 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Kinda crazy.  The Longoria deal was in 2008.  The Lowe deal in 2019.    Both look like genius moves at the moment.

We'll have our chances to do a number of these deals shortly. Westburg and Henderson come to mind. And AR.

• Upvote 1