Praise for Severino

wildcard

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that despite his flaws, Severino is not just better than Wynns, but Severino is approaching 1 bWAR, while Wynns is approaching NEGATIVE 1 bWAR.

Maybe Severino’s value is all in his Bat, But he does have value, and that is a commodity in scarce supply on this team. 
I’m going to remind myself of that every time he does something stupid with the glove.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Heartwarming.

It was a pretty impressive collection of cliche's. For a guy new to MLB, he shows natural talent. Recited them effortlessly, didn't press, showed a relaxed presentation. Almost appeared to be normal conversational speech. Maybe not the full cliche' taught by Crash but effective nonetheless.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good for Severino. With AR on the horizon I just don’t see us paying the 2.5mm-3mm to Severino next year. I see him getting DFAd and us bringing in a vet , defensive minded C, to help AR and our young pitchers. Maybe a team that needs some pop at C/backup C would trade for him. He does hit LHP well. 

I am not to sure about that.   Adley is playing about 2/3 of his games at catcher and 1/3 1B/DH so far this year.   If the O's decide to do the same next year to keep Adley fresh he would catch 108-110 games.   That leaves 62-64 games for the backup.   I can see the O's give Pedro 2.5-3m to do that job.   

Apparently Pedro knows the players in the league and how to pitch them which would make him a good mentor for Adley.   Pedro problems are mostly defensive blocking and maybe some framing issues.   Those issues may get better if he only catches a third of the games and is not so beat up.  Those problems would have no effect on Adley who is very good defensively already.   Pedro currently has a 783 OPS vs lefties this year.   He has a 750 career OPS  vs lefties which is good for a backup catcher.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would not like Severino to serve as a mentor for Adley.

Earl Weaver wrote that you don't throw a guy away because of what he can't do.  You evaluate him on what he can do and how he will help the team.   If Severino knows how to pitch to batters to get them out he could be a good mentor to Adley.   

Its hard to find a backup catcher that can hit.   The O's have Severino under contract control if they want to keep him next year.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Earl Weaver wrote that you don't throw a guy away because of what he can't do.  You evaluate him on what he can do and how he will help the team.   If Severino knows how to pitch to batters to get them out he could be a good mentor to Adley.   

Its hard to find a backup catcher that can hit.   The O's have Severino under contract control if they want to keep him next year.

1. Earl was working with a much deeper bench
  2. You aren't throwing him away you are deciding not to pay him 2.5-3M
  3. Do you think that Severino is producing the gameplan on how to attack hitters or is it the analytics department and coaches?
  4. Why are you worried about a backup that can hit?  Value is value.  No reason a glove first guy can't be the backup.
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not to sure about that.   Adley is playing about 2/3 of his games at catcher and 1/3 1B/DH so far this year.   If the O's decide to do the same next year to keep Adley fresh he would catch 108-110 games.   That leaves 62-64 games for the backup.   I can see the O's give Pedro 2.5-3m to do that job.   

Apparently Pedro knows the players in the league and how to pitch them which would make him a good mentor for Adley.   Pedro problems are mostly defensive blocking and maybe some framing issues.   Those issues may get better if he only catches a third of the games and is not so beat up.  Those problems would have no effect on Adley who is very good defensively already.   Pedro currently has a 783 OPS vs lefties this year.   He has a 750 career OPS  vs lefties which is good for a backup catcher.

The Orioles are not paying $3M for a backup catcher even if that catcher might play in 50 games. 

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Orioles are not paying $3M for a backup catcher even if that catcher might play in 50 games. 

I don’t think Severino would get that much in arbitration.   But he’d be north of $2 mm anyway, and I’d guess that’s too steep for Elias’ taste.   

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Me either. Upcoming list of FA catchers,

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/catcher/

Avila, Ramos, Romine, and Lucroy would be attractive options to mentor AR. Plus, our coach was a C. 

Avila has not caught  60 game a season since 2017.  And he does not hit righties or lefties well. He also has a history of concussion problems.

Wilson Ramos at 34 is a below average thrower, and hitter.   He was released by the Tigers this year and is on the IL with the 3rd tear of his ACL

Austin Romine sprained his wrist and was out for three month this season.  He has mostly  hits lefties for the last two season.  Does hit righties well at all in that period.   I don't know if he could be counted on for 60 games next season.

Lucroy has hardly played in the last two years.   Played a  few games in the minors.  Was DFA'd in July and no one picked him up.

I would take Pedro over any of these guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good for Severino. With AR on the horizon I just don’t see us paying the 2.5mm-3mm to Severino next year. I see him getting DFAd and us bringing in a vet , defensive minded C, to help AR and our young pitchers. Maybe a team that needs some pop at C/backup C would trade for him. He does hit LHP well. 

Matt Wieters still has not retired.   I don't know if you want that alchemy or not, but it is conceivable to me that you could, and if you did that alone is probably enough to separate him from the dozens of other backups vying for 2022 gigs.

The year off really seems to have done wonders for Posey, so Team USA cut notwithstanding, I could imagine 40-50 credible games left in the tank.   Maybe.