Brandon Snyder's .349/.431/.667 AFL Season

Frobby

It makes sense, but usually the best are the best - not just because they worked hard and smart - but also because things come naturally to them. And because they come naturally, they can't empathise why other people don't have the same instincts they had. It's usually the guys who had very little talent and had to fight just to be marginal that become the best coaches.

It's not baseball, but Kobe and Jordan are great players not b/c of the talent they have (everyone in the NBA has talent) but b/c they work harder than ANYBODY. What separates the great from the good players, when they all have similar talent, is work ethic. It sounds like Snyder has a good work ethic and hopefully that turns him into a solid defensive 3B.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for posting this. I found this part interesting:

The fact that Snyder has lost a few pounds also was interesting. I went to a Keys game in May and he looked slow as molasses. I think playing at a slightly lower weight is a good idea and will help his defense, too.

Snyder played no 3rd in HS, he was a SS until Jason Bour (Currently in the Reds System) graduated and than he moved to C.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rochester
That heading almost says it all -- Brandon Snyder is going to be a stud.

Let's start with this: there were approximately 216 players in the AFL this fall. Of that group, Snyder was the 14th youngest. He was also one of only about 30-40 players who had never played at AA or higher. In short, he was one of the youngest, least experienced players in the league.

Then add in the fact that Snyder had no opportunity to get into rhythm. He played in 17 of 36 games, and played on consecutive days only one time. Several times he played after sitting for two consecutive days.

Despite those handicaps, Snyder not only put up his .349/.431/.667 line, but he did it in outstanding fashion. On the seventeen games he played, there was only ONE GAME in which he failed to reach base. And, in 72 plate appearances, he struck out only 9 times -- once every 8 times he came to the plate. Those numbers would be outstanding under any circumstances, but they are especially impressive when you consider his sporadic playing time.

I'd be remiss if I didn't compare Snyder's 2008 season with Nick Markakis' 2005 season. Both were 21 years old at the time, turning 22 in November:

At Frederick -- Markakis .300/.379/.480, Snyder .316/.358/.490

In Arizona ---- Markakis .326/.408/.453, Snyder .349/.431/.667

Now, I am not meaning to suggest that Snyder is quite as far along as Markakis, or that he will be as good a hitter. He doesn't have Nick's plate discipline (though he's improving), and I conveniently left out Nick's five weeks of AA where he hit .339/.420/.573. His defense is nowhere near as good as Nick's, and in fact, he's a liability in the field right now.

But I do mean to suggest that Snyder is a tremendous hitting prospect, and that it wouldn't shock me if he ends up being as good as Nick with a bat in his hands. The concerns that he doesn't have enough power to play a corner IF spot or DH are totally unfounded in my opinion. He's going to be an XBH machine, though maybe more of a doubles hitter than a pure HR hitter.

I've been watching Snyder like a hawk beginning last fall in Hawaii, and what I've noticed is he is nearly immune to cold streaks. He was extremely consistent throughout Fall 2007 in Hawaii, and in Fall 2008 in Arizona. At Frederick, he had a cold spell to start the season but hit .300+ every month from May-August. Simply put, this guy can rake.

So let me make my bold prediction right now: Snyder is going to put up a .900+ OPS at Bowie next year and be in Norfolk or Baltimore by the minor league all-star break, and we'll be seeing him in Baltimore next September. Book it!

This is great! Been watching but not nearly as close - haven't even touched the AFL this year. Man, we could really use this..and Frobby's analysis is excellent (as usual!)

Archived