Brandon Snyder's .349/.431/.667 AFL Season

Frobby

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice to see this effort from Snyder. Some of us have been saying he would be a quality hitter for over a year now.

I hope he starts to get some of the recognition he deserves, but I am not sure if experts care too much about the AFL. If not, we can take solace from the number Snyder put up against, likely, the best pitching he has faced as a pro.

More important than the recognition, hopefully he spends the next few months working on his defense. I am surprised to hear it is such a negative and hope and expect he can remedy that very soon.

Yup. And I think this will end the popular belief that Rowell is the better prospect of the 2. Assuming the AFL talent is AA quality, this bodes well for a big season for him. But if he gets off to a slow start there, people shouldn't overreact again.

I remember reading in Snyder's bio (on O's Hangout I think) when he was first drafted that many people thought he had the best hands in the organization coming out of high school. I'm not sure if they were talking about hitting or catching but you would have to believe they could find a spot for him somewhere on the field.

So let me make my bold prediction right now: Snyder is going to put up a .900+ OPS at Bowie next year and be in Norfolk or Baltimore by the minor league all-star break, and we'll be seeing him in Baltimore next September. Book it!

Wow. That is a bold decision. Especially in the era of the Orioles being extremely conservative in promoting their players.

I think he'll play he entire season at Bowie and then have a chance to make the team in 2010.

Wow. That is a bold decision. Especially in the era of the Orioles being extremely conservative in promoting their players.

I think he'll play he entire season at Bowie and then have a chance to make the team in 2010.

I will tell you why I think Snyder will move faster (assuming he performs). First, let's not forget that Markakis, whose stats as a 21-year old at Frederick and in the AFL were very similar to Snyder's, was in Baltimore the next Opening Day. The only real difference between them, experience-wise, is that Nick had 5 weeks of AA prior to going to the AFL. So if Snyder plays a half-year at Bowie, he will actually have had more minor league experience than Nick by the time he reaches the majors.

The second thing is need. We probably are losing Mora and Huff at the end of 2009, and I think the team would like to get a read on Snyder before the year ends so they can know if they can just hand him a job for 2010.

However, my prediction is entirely premised on how Snyder performs at AA. If he's putting up an .800-.850 OPS, I don't think they'll push him as fast as I suggested. But if he's posting .900+, on the heels of his 1.098 AFL campaign, he will have established pretty definitively that he's ready to face better pitching.

The other thing that could hold him back is his defense. Hopefully he'll work hard to improve that.

So if I'm Brandon Snyder I pick up the phone and call my agent. I tell him I would like to have a conversation with Brooks. When I have that talk with Brooks I beg him to help me with my defense. If he is willing, I spend the next two months learning at the knee of the master. I do whatever the man says and I ask questions.

Then I show up at Spring training and do everything I can do win the 3B job at Bowie or where ever they put me. If this kid can play a decent 3B he is so much more valuable to the organization than at DH or 1B.

So if I'm Brandon Snyder I pick up the phone and call my agent. I tell him I would like to have a conversation with Brooks. When I have that talk with Brooks I beg him to help me with my defense. If he is willing, I spend the next two months learning at the knee of the master. I do whatever the man says and I ask questions.

Then I show up at Spring training and do everything I can do win the 3B job at Bowie or where ever they put me. If this kid can play a decent 3B he is so much more valuable to the organization than at DH or 1B.

You are correct, sir.

Any chance Snyder joins Matusz at Athletes Performance Institute in Tempe?

****Tony, does Snyder possess the athleticism to be a decent third baseman, or no? Still not feeling second base, either? That would obviously make a world of difference for him.

It makes sense, but usually the best are the best - not just because they worked hard and smart - but also because things come naturally to them. And because they come naturally, they can't empathise why other people don't have the same instincts they had. It's usually the guys who had very little talent and had to fight just to be marginal that become the best coaches.

Nice to see this effort from Snyder. Some of us have been saying he would be a quality hitter for over a year now.

I hope he starts to get some of the recognition he deserves, but I am not sure if experts care too much about the AFL. If not, we can take solace from the number Snyder put up against, likely, the best pitching he has faced as a pro.

More important than the recognition, hopefully he spends the next few months working on his defense. I am surprised to hear it is such a negative and hope and expect he can remedy that very soon.

I still maintain that he's likely at 1B for the long-haul. I just don't see everyday 3B in the glove. Eh, hope I'm wrong.

I will tell you why I think Snyder will move faster (assuming he performs). First, let's not forget that Markakis, whose stats as a 21-year old at Frederick and in the AFL were very similar to Snyder's, was in Baltimore the next Opening Day. The only real difference between them, experience-wise, is that Nick had 5 weeks of AA prior to going to the AFL. So if Snyder plays a half-year at Bowie, he will actually have had more minor league experience than Nick by the time he reaches the majors.

The second thing is need. We probably are losing Mora and Huff at the end of 2009, and I think the team would like to get a read on Snyder before the year ends so they can know if they can just hand him a job for 2010.

However, my prediction is entirely premised on how Snyder performs at AA. If he's putting up an .800-.850 OPS, I don't think they'll push him as fast as I suggested. But if he's posting .900+, on the heels of his 1.098 AFL campaign, he will have established pretty definitively that he's ready to face better pitching.

The other thing that could hold him back is his defense. Hopefully he'll work hard to improve that.

Markakis was under Flanagan/Beattie/Duquette who were OK rushing players to the majors. See Hayden Penn, Daniel Cabrera and Jeff Fiorentino.

AM will not do that, IMO, especially if Huff is having another good season OR if we sign Tex.

I don't think a September call up is impossible, but saying he'll be here by the ASB is a huge stretch.

Markakis was under Flanagan/Beattie/Duquette who were OK rushing players to the majors. See Hayden Penn, Daniel Cabrera and Jeff Fiorentino.

AM will not do that, IMO, especially if Huff is having another good season OR if we sign Tex.

I don't think a September call up is impossible, but saying he'll be here by the ASB is a huge stretch.

I said Norfolk or Baltimore. I agree Norfolk is far more likely.

I'm not sure there is a different philosophy between MacPhail and Flangan/Beattie/Duquette. However, MacPhail has much better options than his predecessors had when the players you mentioned were brought up. And in Markakis' case, he literally forced his way onto the team with an amazing spring training.

No chance of 2nd base, either?

Could be. I think it would be a bit like trying to fit an oval peg into a round hole. You could probably hammer it in there, but it wouldn't really fit and it would be pretty obvious to everyone who passed by and glanced at it. His range would be lacking and I'm not sure I'd delay his offensive development to try and get him up to par on the front- and back-end of the double plays from there.

I've seen Snyder play once and I've seen footage of him running the bases. My impression is that he has substantially below-average foot speed, and I would have to think that he'd have difficulty handling a middle-infield position for that reason alone. I'd much rather try him at the hot corner.

Archived