Brandon Snyder's .349/.431/.667 AFL Season

Frobby

It makes sense, but usually the best are the best - not just because they worked hard and smart - but also because things come naturally to them. And because they come naturally, they can't empathise why other people don't have the same instincts they had. It's usually the guys who had very little talent and had to fight just to be marginal that become the best coaches.

I actually thought of substituting Cal for Brooks. I know that Cal learned the fundementals from his father and my sense is that Snyder is a smart kid who would "get" the intellectual approach to the game that Cal learned. But I think Cal is too busy these days to worry about a AA prospect. I could be wrong.

Doesn't Brooks still come to Spring Training?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still maintain that he's likely at 1B for the long-haul. I just don't see everyday 3B in the glove. Eh, hope I'm wrong.

Realistically - for better or worse - the O's will likely have an opening at 1st and 3rd when he's ready for the majors, so I don't consider it a problem if he stays at 1B. He's not going to be a 40 homer a year type, but I don't think it's likely that he's going to be power deficient even for 1B.

I am not excited at all by notion of moving Snyder to 3rd, until Rowell completely proves he is incapable of handling the position.

They should continue to work on Rowell's footwork... (if they were smart, they would pay Brooks to come to camp next year, and spend some time with him).. I would let Snyder play 1st this year, but have in the back of mind he will ultimately be a DH at the ML level.

I disagree with the reasoning. Any decision on Snyder should not be affected by Rowell, because you cannnot assume that Rowell is going to fit into the O's future. I think you have to make decisions assuming that Rowell will not become the O's 3Bman. If he does prove to have the stick, that's a bonus, and you make adjustments accordingly later on - if necessary. It might not even be necessary - if they think Snyder's best position is 1B, and Rowell's is 3B.

I am not excited at all by notion of moving Snyder to 3rd, until Rowell completely proves he is incapable of handling the position.

They should continue to work on Rowell's footwork... (if they were smart, they would pay Brooks to come to camp next year, and spend some time with him).. I would let Snyder play 1st this year, but have in the back of mind he will ultimately be a DH at the ML level.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Rowell in LF by 2010. Of course, 3B wouldn't surprise me either -- I'm just saying...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this year's AFL a real hitter's league? A quick look at the stats shows that even with Snyder's pretty numbers there were still 8-10 guys who outhit him in AZ.

I'll get excited if Brandon's able to put up some good offensive numbers in normal parks in normal weather.

Yes, but being one of the top 10 in this class of hitters is very impressive.

Plus, as Frobby pointed out, he was one of the youngest, most inexperienced players out there.

Great job by Snyder. Really looking forward to seeing how he does next year.

New Melewski article on Snyder. Nothing that new or staggering, but there are some nice quotes in there.

http://masnsports.com/2008/11/brandon-snyder-talks-about-his.html

Thanks for posting this. I found this part interesting:

Brandon says he's heard the rumblings that his defense needs work if he is to someday make the Major Leagues.

"I'm not sure why (my defense gets criticized). I didn't make that many errors last year in Frederick. And first base was new to me. I'm no Mark Teixeira on defense but I didn't hurt us either. Sometimes I just tried to do too much on defense."

Snyder played a handful of games at third base in the AFL and says that is a position where he'd like to end up.

"I loved playing third base. If I had my choice, that's where I'd really like to play. I'll go wherever the O's want me, but that's a spot I really like and there's been some talk over the last couple of years about me playing some there," said Snyder who played some at short and third base in high school.

The fact that Snyder has lost a few pounds also was interesting. I went to a Keys game in May and he looked slow as molasses. I think playing at a slightly lower weight is a good idea and will help his defense, too.

Archived