Prospect for prospect trade

PaulBako

Kinda interesting deal...

Depends on whos scouts you trust the most.

Most people in Texas don't think Mayberry will ever get on base enough to play everyday. Most Philly fans think the Golson will never hit the breaking stuff and will be a 4th/5th OF and pinch runner.

Philly fans are looking at Mayberry jr. as a masher for platoon time vs. LHP, which he excelled at this season but was horrible in 07.

Texas fans are looking at Golson as a guy that even though he strikes out a ton, still had a OBP of .337 in AA last year.

Golson has the higher potential and and hard position to fill defensively and is 2 years younger but is at the lower development level.

I call it a push or a slight win to Texas depending on how much you like Golson.

I like the deal more for Texas, though neither is setting the world afire. Both have time to straighten themselves out. As lax pointed out, Golson gets the nod for me due to tools and position. Mayberry still looks scary at times out there. As an aside, we covered Mayberry in our Texas Top 20 prospects list. Here's what we had to say (sorry for formating, it doesn't lend itself well to cutting and pasting :)):

16. John Mayberry, Jr. | Stats | Depot Grade: B

6-6 / 230 | Age - 25 | OF | B/T - R/R | Drafted - 2005 (R1s) | Stanford University

Floor: AAAA | Ceiling: Above-AVG OF | Projection: AVG OF

Notes: Mayberry's longish swing limits his contact rate and the ability for his huge raw power to play-up (potential fringe-plus-plus). He has the arm for RF but still struggles at times with his routes and tracking.

I like the deal more for Texas, though neither is setting the world afire. Both have time to straighten themselves out. As lax pointed out, Golson gets the nod for me due to tools and position. Mayberry still looks scary at times out there. As an aside, we covered Mayberry in our Texas Top 20 prospects list. Here's what we had to say (sorry for formating, it doesn't lend itself well to cutting and pasting :)):

16. John Mayberry, Jr. | Stats | Depot Grade: B

6-6 / 230 | Age - 25 | OF | B/T - R/R | Drafted - 2005 (R1s) | Stanford University

Floor: AAAA | Ceiling: Above-AVG OF | Projection: AVG OF

Notes: Mayberry's longish swing limits his contact rate and the ability for his huge raw power to play-up (potential fringe-plus-plus). He has the arm for RF but still struggles at times with his routes and tracking.

Your Texas top 20 got linked to Lonestarball.com. Excellent work man, I know a lot of work goes into those. Where do you get your scouting info? Is it first hand or second hand scouting reports?

For what its worth most of the Texas prospect gurus had Mayberry in the 25-30 range with Golson being a slight uprade.

Your Texas top 20 got linked to Lonestarball.com. Excellent work man, I know a lot of work goes into those. Where do you get your scouting info? Is it first hand or second hand scouting reports?

For what its worth most of the Texas prospect gurus had Mayberry in the 25-30 range with Golson being a slight uprade.

Thanks. If it's anything like the OH, I'm sure they tore the list apart! ;)

Anyway, I watch a bunch of minor league ball and do my best to see as many prospects as I can. In addition, I rely on various scouting services that I consider "legit" in order to fill in the holes. When I can't see a prospect in person or on video, I tend to be more conservative. That's really it.

Mayberry could have ended up anywhere from where he was (I think around 17?) to the "Next 10" list which wasn't in any order. He swings and misses a lot, but I still love his tool set. Plus arm (though he's scary tracking the ball sometimes) and fringe-plus-plus raw power. If it all comes together he could be a beast. I think he ends up carving out a career producing as an average everyday player.

I agree Golson is an upgrade -- I like the deal for TEX, though it isn't a "steal" I don't think.

Archived