Henderson vs. Mayo at Delmarva

Frobby

Henderson has his OPS pushing 800 while playing in a big time pitchers park.  He has struggled but he is ending well.

Its very close.  Gun to my head, I think I take Mayo over Henderson but its really close.   If I were to look at it another way, I would deal Henderson before I would deal Mayo.

Both are in our top 5.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Henderson has his OPS pushing 800 while playing in a big time pitchers park.  He has struggled but he is ending well.

Its very close.  Gun to my head, I think I take Mayo over Henderson but its really close.   If I were to look at it another way, I would deal Henderson before I would deal Mayo.

Both are in our top 5.

It's a great problem to have.

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I get the feeling you've been making a conscious effort to derail every positive thread that's been started of late. You took one comment from Wildcard on Elias' drafting strategy and took that as your opportunity to drive home your concerns over Elias' drafting strategy despite the fact that you've made this argument in several other threads that more closely follow that topic.

Can we just try and keep on the subject of the thread. Maybe just think to yourself, if you feel a rant coming on, go check the title of the thread and determine if it fits in that subject, if not, maybe make your own thread.

Thanks for keeping things on subject in the future.

To be fair to CoC, Wildcard didn't stay on the subject of the thread either.  If we are to treat this as a message board and one where people make comments off of other's posts, why can't CoC make a comment on that post?

Could he ignore it?  Sure he could.  You can say that about every single thread on this site and any other message board though.  If people just ignored comments, conversations wouldn't occur and this board (and every other board) would cease to exist.

Once someone makes a comment, I think its fair game for anyone to respond to it and I don't think its fair to pick on someone for doing that.  I do understand your point about broken records and things like that but again, everyone is guilty of that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a great problem to have.

Yea, I mean, its a discussion worth having and the unfortunate part of these discussions is that to elevate someone, its almost as if you are beating down the other.  That's not the intention.  Both are very good prospects and have huge ceilings.

But this is a conversation we will be having (and others elsewhere) as you make your top 10 lists and stuff like that.  

Honestly, I think the better conversation is where do you rank the next 5-7 guys after our top 2.  Like, just take them out of the conversation.  Who is our #1 prospect?  Is it Henderson or Mayo?  Or is it Cowser?  Or do you give it to Hall who maybe has the highest upside of everyone?  

The one that I do think this conversation highlights is that a month or so ago, we were talking about how the system was good  but how good is it after the top 2?  The continued emergence of Mayo and what Cowser has done so far is starting to answer that question in a positive light.  Obviously we have to wait and see what happens as these guys move up the ladder.  I am still dumbfounded that Cowser is in low A ball right now, that makes no sense to me.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I mean, its a discussion worth having and the unfortunate part of these discussions is that to elevate someone, its almost as if you are beating down the other.  That's not the intention.  Both are very good prospects and have huge ceilings.

But this is a conversation we will be having (and others elsewhere) as you make your top 10 lists and stuff like that.  

Honestly, I think the better conversation is where do you rank the next 5-7 guys after our top 2.  Like, just take them out of the conversation.  Who is our #1 prospect?  Is it Henderson or Mayo?  Or is it Cowser?  Or do you give it to Hall who maybe has the highest upside of everyone?  

The one that I do think this conversation highlights is that a month or so ago, we were talking about how the system was good  but how good is it after the top 2?  The continued emergence of Mayo and what Cowser has done so far is starting to answer that question in a positive light.  Obviously we have to wait and see what happens as these guys move up the ladder.  I am still dumbfounded that Cowser is in low A ball right now, that makes no sense to me.  

Its really interchangeable between the 4. I'll rank Gunnar higher than Mayo for now because he's a higher level. Doesn't mean he'll be the better pro. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

To be fair to CoC, Wildcard didn't stay on the subject of the thread either.  If we are to treat this as a message board and one where people make comments off of other's posts, why can't CoC make a comment on that post?

Could he ignore it?  Sure he could.  You can say that about every single thread on this site and any other message board though.  If people just ignored comments, conversations wouldn't occur and this board (and every other board) would cease to exist.

Once someone makes a comment, I think its fair game for anyone to respond to it and I don't think its fair to pick on someone for doing that.  I do understand your point about broken records and things like that but again, everyone is guilty of that.

Because CoC has been doing it all over the board of late and has constantly been shifting the thread's original focus with his same mantras. I realize you are supporting him because you do the same thing at times. 

I think some of you need to think, was this rehashed in another thread already? Do I really need to start discussing Elias' drafting philosophy in a thread talking about a comparison between Mayo and Henderson? 

It just gets old to see a thread with a ton of pages suddenly and it the same old people who changed the subject to the same subject that's been rehashed a thousand times. 

Do I think you guys are the only ones that do this, no, you certainly are not, but I've noticed CoC doing this a ton of late and wanted to make sure we try and stay in subject as much as possible. 

I get it, this is a message board and I want people to have discussions and yes, sometimes we will rehash discussions and even I've been sucked into commenting outside of the topic at hand, but I try not to give my same thoughts in multiple places. 

I don't really think people do it on purpose per se, but I do n think we all need to do a little better job at staying on subject.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

Kinda hard to be against Elias' draft strategy when he comes up with a guy kind Mayo.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

All you have to do is look at the pitching he's drafted.

16 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Well, in fairness, you're against everything, no matter what.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That doesn't sound like in fairness to me.

What do you think about the pitching Elias has drafted?

I think it is very shortsighted to look at one draft pick and try and make an overriding statement about Elias' drafting.

So Wildcard makes a comment about Elias' drafting strategy, but stays on the subject of Mayo. Basically he's saying Mayo was a good selection that was made possible by Elias going under slot with Kjerstad. 

You then change the subject by wanting to talk about his pitching selections, which literally has nothing to do with what Wildcard was referring to.

Grant it 7Mo came at you with a pretty accurate dig which then set you off on your pitching concerns which again, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREAD. 

You've done this before with some of you other favorite subjects like international spending and the Orioles commitment to spend under Elias.

I'm not picking on you, but just asking you to try and keep things on subject so we don't end up in this kind of stuff with back and forths that do nothing for the boards knowledge of the subject at hand.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Because CoC has been doing it all over the board of late and has constantly been shifting the thread's original focus with his same mantras. I realize you are supporting him because you do the same thing at times. 

I think some of you need to think, was this rehashed in another thread already? Do I really need to start discussing Elias' drafting philosophy in a thread talking about a comparison between Mayo and Henderson? 

It just gets old to see a thread with a ton of pages suddenly and it the same old people who changed the subject to the same subject that's been rehashed a thousand times. 

Do I think you guys are the only ones that do this, no, you certainly are not, but I've noticed CoC doing this a ton of late and wanted to make sure we try and stay in subject as much as possible. 

I get it, this is a message board and I want people to have discussions and yes, sometimes we will rehash discussions and even I've been sucked into commenting outside of the topic at hand, but I try not to give my same thoughts in multiple places. 

I don't really think people do it on purpose per se, but I do n think we all need to do a little better job at staying on subject.

I don't really disagree with you here but I would also say I have seen WC make that comment in several threads too.  But since its a positive comment, the broken record nature of it tends to get overlooked.  BTW, not trying to pick on him but since he was actually the one who changed the thread topic with his comment, I am just using that as an example.

I mean, I think this criticism would be far more valid if CoC brought it up on his own.  Instead, he was just responding to a comment that, in all fairness, is a bit over the top.

14 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Its really interchangeable between the 4. I'll rank Gunnar higher than Mayo for now because he's a higher level. Doesn't mean he'll be the better pro. 

Im ranking Hall the lowest...not because of ceiling but because of floor and risk factor.  Love the kid as a pure prospect but I think the other 3 have big ceilings too and are far more likely to hit them, even if Hall is the one at the highest level and has done well at that higher level.

I am just so impressed with what Mayo is doing and the immense power he has is really eye opening.  What's really intriguing is that we can have this conversation and talk about Mayo's power and his power may be second or even third in the organization because of Adley and Kjerstad.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't really disagree with you here but I would also say I have seen WC make that comment in several threads too.  But since its a positive comment, the broken record nature of it tends to get overlooked.  BTW, not trying to pick on him but since he was actually the one who changed the thread topic with his comment, I am just using that as an example.

I mean, I think this criticism would be far more valid if CoC brought it up on his own.  Instead, he was just responding to a comment that, in all fairness, is a bit over the top.

As I said in my response to CoC, the difference was that Wildcard was referring to going underslot with Kjersatd in order to get a Mayo. Had CoC gone on about that subject, that would have at least been semi-on subject, but CoC turned it into Elias' lack of drafting pitching in the first ten rounds.  

Which is a valid concern and topic to discuss, but not in a thread comparing Henderson to Mayo.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Back on subject. I check the minors boxscores everyday and it's my impression that Henderson has really cut down on his errors lately at both 3rd and SS.

He hasn't committed an error in his last 9 games after making errors in 4 games in his previous 6. I'm just happy they are not bouncing him back and forth like they were. He had a 12 and 11 game games errorless streaks in Delmarva but typically followed them with a flurry of errors.

From what I've seen it's not just one thing for him. He'll botch a routine grounder and then throw a ball away. He doesn't seem to throw very accurately on relays when he's gotta make a quick strong throw on a close play, but that could get better with age. 

He's got all the tools to be a decent defensive infielder but needs to find his consistency. I'm not really convinced he's a shortstop but I'm not ready to say he absolutely can't play there so it's worth keep sending him out there for now. But I think they need to have a good feel for his position by AA. 

• Upvote 1