Who do you want?

I would want either Crow or Mike Minor out of Missouri. He's another big lefty 6'4 220 out of Vanderbilt. He strikes out around 9 and walks around 2 a game. He was 2007 Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-American, 2007 Rivals.com Freshman All-American, 2007 SEC All-Freshman Team, 2007 SEBaseball.com SEC Freshman of the Year, 2007 SEBaseball.com Second Team All-SEC. He also pitched on the USA Collegiate team in 2007 and 2008.

As of right now, Matzek.

I heard from Rhall that JJ was deciding between Matusz and Smoak, but he took Matusz because "we didn't have anybody like Matusz in the system". I hear scouting reports that say Matzek is compared to Matusz.

But hey, I would love to get Matzek, or maybe Tate.

I heard from Rhall that JJ was deciding between Matusz and Smoak, but he took Matusz because "we didn't have anybody like Matusz in the system". I hear scouting reports that say Matzek is compared to Matusz.

But hey, I would love to get Matzek, or maybe Tate.

Tate is a good option. Honestly, lots can happen between now and June (obviously). I come back to Matzek and Tate simply because they represent potential elite talent, of which there is very little in this draft class (so far). There are a good number of options that make me think "future MLer", but not so much "potential future star".

If the 2009 draft goes like this, who would you like to pick at #5?

1. Strasburg

2. White

3. Green

4. Ackley

5. ?

It is a little early, but I am just looking for your opinion.

I can see the appeal of Crow, but right now I would lean towards Donovan Tate, followed closely by Matzek. How their high school seasons go, and what kind of information comes out as the draft gets more pub (as it gets closer) my opinion could change. I'm more likely to sour on Tate than Matzek.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to take Crow next year because like Big Mac stated, he's lost a lot of his leverage. Hopefully, we could get him on a Matusz type deal, or at least somewhere in the same ballpark. Having Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, and Crow would probably give us the best top tier pitching prospects in baseball, considering that all those guys have the ceiling of at least a 2-3, with ace potential.

I like what I hear about Matzek so far, and Greg did a great preview of him. This early in the draft I'd prefer a college arm that takes less time to develop, but if Matzek's ceiling is much higher than that of Crow or maybe Alex White then I would be perfectly happy taking him. Maybe Greg or Stotle could compare the ceilings of some of the top notch pitching prospects in this class.

1) Crow

2) Matzek

3) Tate? (Could be higher but I'm not too familiar with his talents)

And I 'd just like to add that I find it funny that we're all falling in love with the idea of having certain prospects in our system when the draft is 7 months away lol. I wonder who will be this year's Buster Posey?

I would love to take Crow next year because like Big Mac stated, he's lost a lot of his leverage. Hopefully, we could get him on a Matusz type deal, or at least somewhere in the same ballpark. Having Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman, and Crow would probably give us the best top tier pitching prospects in baseball, considering that all those guys have the ceiling of at least a 2-3, with ace potential.

I like what I hear about Matzek so far, and Greg did a great preview of him. This early in the draft I'd prefer a college arm that takes less time to develop, but if Matzek's ceiling is much higher than that of Crow or maybe Alex White then I would be perfectly happy taking him. Maybe Greg or Stotle could compare the ceilings of some of the top notch pitching prospects in this class.

1) Crow

2) Matzek

3) Tate? (Could be higher but I'm not too familiar with his talents)

And I 'd just like to add that I find it funny that we're all falling in love with the idea of having certain prospects in our system when the draft is 7 months away lol. I wonder who will be this year's Buster Posey?

I don't start my player-by-player preview until Jan/Feb, but I've seen all these guys play. I'd rate them:

Matzek

Crow

Tate

Pluses for each:

Matzek - I like Matzek's delivery better than Crow's and I like the foundation he's set for his FB/CB/SL/CH. Plus, he's a lefty. Good frame, I could see him adding velo. Good pitchability/command for a HSer.

Crow - Great stuff and already refined. Should be pretty quick to ML. Ceiling of a front-end guy with some "injury" risk (see all the analysis in last year's threads or the review on my/craw's site or NoVaO's site). Fewer offerings, but his FB/SL gives him two potential plus- to plus-plus offerings, depending on when you've seen him throw.

Tate - Toolbox with potential to be good to above-average at everything. I like his approach but I still have Matt Davidson's bat ahead of him out of the HSers. Tate needs refinement on the baseball side of things, though he's clearly athletic and has a solid head and approach to the game in general.

Archived