Tim Dierkes: Orioles should trade John Means

waynebug

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2022 - We’re the worst or one of the worst teams in MLB. 

2023 - We win 70 games. 

2024 - Wildcard

What about Wildcard?  Does he become the new GM?  Ohhh, you mean we get in the playoffs. :)  Yeah, I think that's a reasonable guess of the plan.    

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2022 - We’re the worst or one of the worst teams in MLB. 

2023 - We win 70 games. 

2024 - Wildcard

By 2024 we should have a few players filling out our infield holes, so the lineup should be close to set. Still need to figure out 3-4 spots in the rotation. 

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

By 2024 we should have a few players filling out our infield holes, so the lineup should be close to set. Still need to figure out 3-4 spots in the rotation. 

That’s why I’m trading Mullins, Means, and Mancini this offseason. Add to the 2024 team.

2024 is looking legit. 

C - AR

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Mayo

LF - Stowers

RF - Greene(2022 #1 pick)

CF - Cowser

DH - Kjerstad 

Rotation: Grod, Hall

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s why I’m trading Mullins, Means, and Mancini this offseason. Add to the 2024 team.

2024 is looking legit. 

C - AR

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Mayo

LF - Stowers

CF - Cowser

DH - Kjerstad 

Its going to be an interesting offseason for Elias thats for sure. The rotation needs some serious help. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2024 is looking legit. 

C - AR

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Mayo

LF - Stowers

CF - Cowser

DH - Kjerstad 

Did you trade Hays, too?  Who did we get?   

2024 is looking legit. 

C - AR

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Mayo

LF - Stowers

CF - Cowser

DH - Kjerstad 

So, they will be the first team ever with all home grown players? Nobody fails? That is a totally unrealistic plan. If ownership and the GM are unwilling to manuever the team through the AL east, then it may very well be time to sell and move the team.

2024 is looking legit. 

C - AR

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Mayo

LF - Stowers

CF - Cowser

DH - Kjerstad 

If we look legit in 2024 without acquiring anything for Mullins, Means, or Mancini..... why trade them?

11 hours ago, Ruzious said:

What about Wildcard?  Does he become the new GM?  Ohhh, you mean we get in the playoffs. :)  Yeah, I think that's a reasonable guess of the plan.    

I’d gleefully love to have Wildcard as GM. They should do a collective of well versed fans to vote and bet teams would be better:), fantasy land stuff of course. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2024 is looking legit. 

C - AR

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Westburg

SS - Gunnar

3B - Mayo

LF - Stowers

CF - Cowser

DH - Kjerstad 

I don't think we will see Mullins or Means traded this off season.   Mancini needs to be traded or extended this off season.  

I am more in favor of trading player when the O's prospects are ready for the majors.   Next spring that looks like Adley and Neustrom will be ready.

CBA and digesting new rules, etc first of course, but if you are 2024 MVP Adley Rutschman and 2024 Cy Young Award winner Grayson Rodriguez, do you want your team to have...

Arb3 John Means

Arb4 Anthony Santander   (low 2021 RBI's help the 2022-2024 salary forecast)

Arb2 Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins

...or trade returns perhaps not yet adjusted Winning MLB players that season?

With the window being set as 2022-2028 as the team control years for the franchise caliber guys, strip mining the above four guys for the pipeline flirts with making the first 3/7ths of those years tough on them if the Cowser/Kjerstad/Gunnar type guys don't come fast.

I think what I'm rooting for is only growing the good Supporting Cast inventory from here and Current Orioles/Future Orioles are kind of a First Half/Second Half roster glue for all seven of the Rutschman/Rodriguez teams.   I'd be a little bummed not to get to see the last few years Means/Mullins successes not get at least one opportunity with the real stuff, and to get a view of where on the Tillman/Wieters --> Strasburg/Harper spectrum Adley/Grayson lie for assessing what the 2023 Orioles can or ought to be.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

CBA and digesting new rules, etc first of course, but if you are 2024 MVP Adley Rutschman and 2024 Cy Young Award winner Grayson Rodriguez, do you want your team to have...

Arb3 John Means

Arb4 Anthony Santander   (low 2021 RBI's help the 2022-2024 salary forecast)

Arb2 Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins

...or trade returns perhaps not yet adjusted Winning MLB players that season?

With the window being set as 2022-2028 as the team control years for the franchise caliber guys, strip mining the above four guys for the pipeline flirts with making the first 3/7ths of those years tough on them if the Cowser/Kjerstad/Gunnar type guys don't come fast.

I think what I'm rooting for is only growing the good Supporting Cast inventory from here and Current Orioles/Future Orioles are kind of a First Half/Second Half roster glue for all seven of the Rutschman/Rodriguez teams.   I'd be a little bummed not to get to see the last few years Means/Mullins successes not get at least one opportunity with the real stuff, and to get a view of where on the Tillman/Wieters --> Strasburg/Harper spectrum Adley/Grayson lie for assessing what the 2023 Orioles can or ought to be.

Solid point, the O's should totally make personnel decisions based on the desires of the players.