Tim Dierkes: Orioles should trade John Means

waynebug

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So I was told some info yesterday about ownership.  Without going into details, if it is true what I heard (and I don’t doubt do that it was), they will be cheaping out again this offseason and we could see these types of players traded because of money.

Were there any names attached to "these type of players"?

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So I was told some info yesterday about ownership.  Without going into details, if it is true what I heard (and I don’t doubt do that it was), they will be cheaping out again this offseason and we could see these types of players traded because of money.

I don’t have any inside info but that’s seemed apparent for a long time now. If they trade Means “because of money” they should just shut it down or move. Not that I think they will trade him……

15 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Were there any names attached to "these type of players"?

No..that’s me adding to it.  IE, if they are going to be cheap again, anyone making any amount of money could be on the chopping block.  Luckily, guys like Means and Mullins are still not making any money, so there may not be a “forced trade”.

But if they are going to continue to be cheap until they can sell, it may be that they decide to offload guys like Means if they feel his value is at its peak.

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t have any inside info but that’s seemed apparent for a long time now. If they trade Means “because of money” they should just shut it down or move. Not that I think they will trade him……

Yes but based on what I heard, the problem isn’t going away (ie, this isn’t just a 2022 problem) until they sell…once PA passes away.  They won’t sell before that I’m sure.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but based on what I heard, the problem isn’t going away (ie, this isn’t just a 2022 problem) until they sell…once PA passes away.  They won’t sell before that I’m sure.

I'm still not sure why folks think they will sell and not just keep owning the team and the RSN and skimming off profits.

I could see them selling, but I can also see them keeping the team.  It's a solid source of income.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm still not sure why folks think they will sell and not just keep owning the team and the RSN and skimming off profits.

I was just about to ask Sports Guy. I see all the speculation about a sale but is there anything concrete anywhere, of any kind, indicating a post mortem sale? 

If estate taxes were actually an issue, why wouldn't the brothers just sell minority interests and keep the majority?

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

I was just about to ask Sports Guy. I see all the speculation about a sale but is there anything concrete anywhere, of any kind, indicating a post mortem sale? 

If estate taxes were actually an issue, why wouldn't the brothers just sell minority interests and keep the majority?

I think, at least for some folks, is they are hoping they sell.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If that’s the case, they need to realize they’re not capable of owning this team. I don’t believe this team hasn’t turned a profit this year and there’s no reason to think they won’t continue to make more next year. 

Just now, waroriole said:

If that’s the case, they need to realize they’re not capable of owning this team. I don’t believe this team hasn’t turned a profit this year and there’s no reason to think they won’t continue to make more next year. 

I think all these low payroll savings are earmarked for the estate tax and not a front line pitcher in 2023.