DJ Stewart to 60 Day IL and Cesar Valdez called up from Norfolk

OsFanSinceThe80s

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

If he’s on the 60-day injured list He’s not on the 40 man roster, but he’s not subject to 40 man roster restrictions, right? Which means any work stoppage or strike would not apply to him? I don’t really care, but I’m just asking.

60 day DL is only during the season.

So at some  specified date after the season (end of World Series?) guys on the 60 day DL must all be reinstated to the 40 man.

So we have 40 guys on the 40 man plus about 7 guys on the 60 day IL right now (Stewart, Scott, a couple of Harvey's, etc).

Which means we will have to cut a bunch of guys at that point.   Of course we have two guys who are major league free agents so they come off at that point (Abad & Matt Harvey).   But we'll have to cut some guys.  

Then we'll need to cut some more guys off the 40 to make room for any Rule 5 pickups.  That deadline is late Nov/early Dec, I think.

And there is another deadline where you either tender a contract or non-tender anyone who is eligible for arbitration.   At that point, if not gone already, someone else could be cut (Severino is a prime example).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

60 day DL is only during the season.

So at some  specified date after the season (end of World Series?) guys on the 60 day DL must all be reinstated to the 40 man.

So we have 40 guys on the 40 man plus about 7 guys on the 60 day IL right now (Stewart, Scott, a couple of Harvey's, etc).

Which means we will have to cut a bunch of guys at that point.   Of course we have two guys who are major league free agents so they come off at that point (Abad & Matt Harvey).   But we'll have to cut some guys.  

Then we'll need to cut some more guys off the 40 to make room for any Rule 5 pickups.  That deadline is late Nov/early Dec, I think.

And there is another deadline where you either tender a contract or non-tender anyone who is eligible for arbitration.   At that point, if not gone already, someone else could be cut (Severino is a prime example).

And of course if we sign any major league free agents or trade for guys on 40 man rosters during the offseason, room must be made for each of them as well.

A lot of guys will be getting cut this offseason.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And I failed to mention that we also have a bunch of guys who could get TAKEN in the Rule 5 draft if we don't add them to the 40 man roster by that late November/early December deadline.   So that's another factor that will necessitate more cuts.

Looks like we have 8 guys on the 60 day IL right now:  Mateo, Stewart, Harvey, Harvey, Zimmerman, Lakins, Lopez, Scott.

So that's 48 guys.   Abad and Matt Harvey will go as free agents.   So that's at least 6 guys who will be cut at the first deadline which I think is right after the end of the World Series.

I'm willing to bet that of the 48 guys on the 40/60 right now -- at least half, 24, will not be on the 40 man when spring training starts in February.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And I failed to mention that we also have a bunch of guys who could get TAKEN in the Rule 5 draft if we don't add them to the 40 man roster by that late November/early December deadline.   So that's another factor that will necessitate more cuts.

Looks like we have 8 guys on the 60 day IL right now:  Mateo, Stewart, Harvey, Harvey, Zimmerman, Lakins, Lopez, Scott.

So that's 48 guys.   Abad and Matt Harvey will go as free agents.   So that's at least 6 guys who will be cut at the first deadline which I think is right after the end of the World Series.

I'm willing to bet that of the 48 guys on the 40/60 right now -- at least half, 24, will not be on the 40 man when spring training starts in February.

I agree. And it’s possible that guys like Mancini will be traded cheap just to free up a spot. It will be interesting to consider whether  Scott and Fry are considered future pieces. I think we could dump 10 guys without even knowing they were ever here, But they are going to be some debatable moves, no doubt.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Interesting that they do this with Stewart (who I don’t remember being out of a line up due to an injury lately), while Urias and Mancini can bounce in and out of the line up lately and be “unavailable.”

Roch wrote an article and according to the Orioles DJ has been getting his knee treated the last couple months. I don’t remember hearing any mention of this prior to today.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/09/stewart-goes-on-injured-list-plus-lineups.html

An osteochondral defect, according to a quick Internet search, refers to a focal area of damage that involves both the cartilage and a piece of underlying bone. Stewart will undergo a surgical procedure in the next few weeks to clean up the knee and should be ready for spring training.

“It’s been going on for a while, really for probably the last couple months,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “He’s been getting treatment on his knee and everybody felt like the right time was to shut him down, take care of it and be ready for spring training next year.”

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Roch wrote an article and according to the Orioles DJ has been getting his knee treated the last couple months. I don’t remember hearing any mention of this prior to today.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/09/stewart-goes-on-injured-list-plus-lineups.html

An osteochondral defect, according to a quick Internet search, refers to a focal area of damage that involves both the cartilage and a piece of underlying bone. Stewart will undergo a surgical procedure in the next few weeks to clean up the knee and should be ready for spring training.

“It’s been going on for a while, really for probably the last couple months,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “He’s been getting treatment on his knee and everybody felt like the right time was to shut him down, take care of it and be ready for spring training next year.”

I saw that too and it didn’t change my confusion about the situation.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I saw that too and it didn’t change my confusion about the situation.

I don't understand why you just wouldn't shut him down a couple months ago.  That sounds like something that could get worse over time if not treated.

They couldn't find a warm body that could put up a -.3 rWAR for the league minimum? 

48 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Interesting that they do this with Stewart (who I don’t remember being out of a line up due to an injury lately), while Urias and Mancini can bounce in and out of the line up lately and be “unavailable.”

Probably Urias and Mancini don't have anything that will require surgery.   They probably considered shutting DJ down for a while before they actually did it, and he probably himself wanted to continue to play through it.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It certainly explains some of his speed loss this year.

Hope he has a full recovery and comes into Spring Training 100 percent. I do not expect him to be removed from the 40-man roster in the off-season. I think he will compete to be the strong side of a platoon with Hays and a left-handed bat off the bench / occasional DH to spell Mancini (or if Mancini is traded). He will still make the minimum next year and there are enough questions about Hays' ability to hit righties and Santander's ability to hit period, that he will survive at least through the off-season. Hopefully Kyle Stowers will displace him by the All Star Break

Sorry to hear about his knee problem but maybe that explains him being a little slower this year and some of his other struggles.   Hopefully getting this cleaned up will help him, regardless of whether he playing for us or someone else.   He seems like a good dude even if not a great ball player.